23|A Devotion

Yoooooo

Two days later

Lost in my thoughts, I slowly descended the stairs, weighed down by everything that had happened in the past two days. My mind was a whirlwind of questions and emotions, but hunger reminded me I needed to eat.

As I reached the landing, Mom approached me and gently touched my head. Her presence was comforting, silently reassuring me that I wasn't alone in this.

"Good morning, dear," she greeted softly, concern evident in her eyes.

"Morning, Mom," I managed a faint smile, grateful for her understanding.

We stood together for a moment, sharing an unspoken connection. Her warmth enveloped me, giving me the courage to face the day.

I nodded towards the kitchen, indicating I needed to eat. "I'll grab a little something," I murmured.

She squeezed my arm reassuringly before heading to the living room. I took a deep breath and made my way to the kitchen, the morning quiet around me.

Inside, I leaned against the counter, feeling tired and empty. Food didn't appeal to me, but I knew I had to eat to regain my strength.

Opening the fridge, I spotted a bowl of chaat that Karan had mentioned. I turned to Mom in the living room. "Mom, what's this?" I asked softly, holding up the bowl.

She looked up from her book with a gentle smile. "Karan brought it this morning. He said it's your favorite."

I placed the bowl on the counter, unsure. After hesitating, I opened it and took a small portion. The aroma brought back memories of happier times with friends.

After a few bites, I realized I couldn't continue. My stomach churned with a mix of emotions, and the food felt heavy in my mouth. Guilt washed over me as I closed the lid of the bowl and placed it back in the refrigerator.

Feeling defeated, I walked over to the dustbin and emptied the remaining chaat into it. It felt like a small act of betrayal towards Karan. but I couldn't force myself to eat.

Leaning against the counter, I closed my eyes briefly. The kitchen was quiet, a stark reminder of the heaviness I carried inside.

Despite the struggle, I knew this was just one step in healing. Each day would bring challenges, but I hoped with time, I'd find peace and regain my appetite for life.

After two days

Sitting by the window, morning light streaming in, I reflected on the past four days. It had been a rollercoaster of emotions—feeling fragile from panic attacks but grateful for the support, especially from Divye.

Four days felt like forever since that frightening night at the college event. The memory haunted me—darkness closing in, feeling helpless. I shivered, remembering how Divye's presence had calmed me amid the storm in my mind.

Glancing at my trembling hands, still raw with anxiety, I felt vulnerable and uncertain. Closing my eyes, I tried to muster the courage to face another day.

"How do I move forward?" The question lingered heavily.

"Will I ever feel safe again?" Doubt crept in, threatening my fragile peace.

Outside, the world buzzed with its usual rhythms—traffic, birds chirping. But inside, I felt trapped in fear and uncertainty.

Three Days later

Resting my head against the warm bed sheet, I sought solace in its clarity. The outside world appeared serene—a quiet neighbourhood waking up to a new day. I envied its simplicity, its steadfast normalcy.