Chapter 24: Memorial Day

The parish radio receives news of their beloved VAs' heart-breaking loss in the HSNCT playoffs. So many, especially in Jennings, the center of the VA community,

"And that's how it ends: VA A lost to Cistercian, three hundred fifty-five to three hundred forty-five, finishing eighth. That's a huge improvement over last season, and even the B-team, wholly made up of underclassmen, finished better than last year! Let's not forget about how Myriam's strong play at this tournament will remind so many of the early days of the Venomous Agendas at the HSNCT!" the radio host starts telling the listeners. "For the next two years, expect to hear the following names regularly in the quiz bowl news: Nadine Fauchoux and Lilina Ortiz!"

The host then tells the audience about how Trillian is poised to make her debut on the high school mathletic stage and how she's expected to reverse VA's mathletic misfortunes, absent a first-round win against Lacassine during the spring Math Madness season.

The following day, as is usual for VA's quiz bowl squads at the HSNCT, they are invited to the town's Memorial Day festivities, and with both Lake Charles and Lafayette TV stations having briefly covered VA's HSNCT results in the morning.

"This year, for the first time in school history, the quiz bowl program sent both squads to the HSNCT! Because both Nadine and Lilina are poised to reach stardom, they represent our best chance at victory next season, along with Myriam!" the principal announces to the crowd assembled at the Simmons Memorial Stadium, with the quiz bowlers at center field.

The crowd in attendance goes crazy and closes in on their favorites at center field much as they would have after a major victory during football season.

So Lilina will be on the A-team for sure next season, but whether Nadine will be on the A-team as well, remains to be seen, Pablo sighs, realizing roster changes are on the horizon in quiz bowl for next season.

"Remember the plan for the summer, Pablo: we'll train for our respective sports, study for the ACT as deemed necessary. Then I will be able to placate Heather, and Cora, too!" Audrey sermons him.

"And work! Because the boss' son also plays on the football team, I'm going to work for a car parts shop this summer!" Pablo adds.

"Which one?" Audrey asks him.

"The shop I bought your brakes from, actually! What about you?"

"I'm working at Wal-Mart"

"Honestly, Audrey, we will mostly see each other in the weight room and when studying for the ACT, with our respective teammates" They then kiss each other.

"But I have the impression that Heather might not be a VA next season"