Chapter 9

Destiny is strange. When you desperately desire something, you may eventually get it, but at a heavy cost. The price you pay can make you question why you wanted it in the first place. Is it worth it? Honestly, I don't know. I don't know how I should feel—happy, guilty, or sad. I can't make sense of anything right now.

Sometimes I wonder why I love him so much, clinging to someone who no longer exists. Perhaps it's simply fate. I believe I am destined to love him. I have tried to move on, and I did, in a way but that didn't mean I loved him any less. It's always there, tucked at the corner of my heart.

All those years, I harbored a tiny hope that maybe Kal wouldn't marry her, even after I have made peace with the fact that he could never be mine. I wished, somehow, he would realize I loved him, though that was impossible since he was never around me, no matter the number of times I tried to be around him. Sometimes, I felt he was actively avoiding me, perhaps because he had no interest in me or simply didn't like me.

Watching him with other girls, including Maria, was painful. I wanted to be one of those girls, but that would mean giving my soul and body to him, losing a part of myself forever. I didn't want to further shatter my already broken heart. I couldn't understand how Maria tolerated it; had it been me, I would have felt deeply betrayed, completely destroyed.

I foolishly thought that he might never marry her, especially when he didn't marry her for years after killing Massimo. But that illusion crumbled when he finally decided to marry due to his father's deteriorating health. I assumed selfishly, he would return to his old ways, but surprisingly, he remained faithful after marriage—or so it seemed. One can never truly know the secrets another person harbors.

I look at myself in the mirror. Kiara did a good job. I don't look like my life turned upside down last week, but here I am, about to marry a Don who just lost his wife. Maria, she was the perfect Mafia queen. My throat clogs up thinking about her. She was groomed perfectly from the day it was decided she would marry Kaldar. She must be hating me from her grave right now, just as she did when she was alive. She was so proud of being Don Kaldar Di Santis's wife; everyone respected and even feared her. Now, I am her replacement. No one is happy that an illegitimate heir is marrying a true heir of Di Santis, but everyone knows about the deal and what was promised to form an alliance.

I carefully adjust the elegant white dress Kiara chose for me. It's a masterpiece, with intricate lace patterns cascading down the bodice and flowing into a full, tulle skirt that trails behind me. The dress fits me perfectly, hugging my curves. My makeup is flawless, with smoky eyes and red lips that contrast sharply against my pale skin. My hair is styled in soft waves, framing my face in a way that belies the turmoil inside me. A delicate, scattered pearl light, short birdcage veil drapes over my face, leaving only my lips exposed.

"Look at you! You look magnificent!" Scarlett exclaims, clasping her hands in awe. She is my cheerful assistant at the gallery, her enthusiasm is contagious. Kiara stands beside her, nodding in agreement, a wide grin spreading across her face. I can't help but grin back at them. Just then, a knock sounds at the door.

"Come on, guys! You're taking forever just to wear a dress, and I want to see my favorite person in the world already." Nick, my favorite cousin, calls out impatiently. Scarlett hurries to open the door, letting him inside.

I don’t turn around, but I see him through the mirror. He is the spitting image of my uncle Vincent, who looks just like my dad. The resemblance among the three of them is uncanny.

Nick's eyes widen as he watches me through the mirror, his mouth slightly agape. "Wow," he breathes, struggling to find the right words. "You look... incredible."

His reaction makes me smile "Thanks, Nick." I say softly. "You clean up pretty well yourself."

"Well, I had to look my best for my favorite cousin's big day. Are you ready for this?" He asks.