Ch. 33 Respect

Juice couldn't help but grin when Angela walked into the hospital room. Elena and Graciela were already there. The former having brought him a big Tupperware container full of her infamous ropa vieja that he had practically inhaled. After eating the jail food and the hospital food for a couple days, having food with actual flavor was incredible. He'd thanked Elena profusely until she threatened to dump the cup of water on his table on his head. "Look who's here!" Elena exclaimed clapping her hands.

Angela smiled, though he saw the bags under her eyes, the stiffness in her walk. She'd been sleeping in the room with him on the little pull out armchair bed that couldn't be comfortable. They'd attempted sharing his hospital bed, but a nurse came in once a night to take his vitals, and the last one to catch Angela sleeping beside him had almost thrown her out completely. They didn't want to risk that again. He'd rather have her in the room than not there at all. Still, it meant that she wasn't sleeping well, and it definitely showed.

"Hey Tia, Mama," she greeted, going to kiss Elena's cheek then her mother's. They all knew the only reason her mother was there was because Elena was scared to drive at night, and she'd asked for a ride. Elena had done so much for their little family that Graciela rarely said no into her sister. Angela leaned over the bed to kiss his temple. "Hey you."

"Hey baby," he replied, squeezing her hand lovingly. "Good day today?"

"Long day today," she answered on a heavy sigh.

"You look terrible, mija," Graciela said, her words harsh but there was real concern in her eyes that took some of the sting out of them.

Juice watched as Angela's shoulders sunk even further. He could see a flash of annoyance in her eyes, but she bit back whatever comment she was about to unleash. "Gee, thanks, Mom," Angela replied in response. "Good to see you too." 

Elena gave Graciela a look of disapproval before reaching in her bag to pull out a small Tupperware container. "Mira, go heat this in the cafeteria. Ropa vieja. Get some good food and then go home to sleep." (Look)

"I'll heat the food for you," Graciela said, standing to take the container and walking out of the room before anyone could protest.

Elena frowned in response before casting a sympathetic look at Angela. "She means well, mija. She worries about you, you know."

"Sure," she drawled sarcastically.

Juice hated how Angela looked sadder and more exhausted than she had when she walked in. "I think you look beautiful, Angel. Always do."

"Thanks," she murmured, the smallest hint of a smile on her face. 

Graciela came walking back in with the Tupperware on a plate, a fork sticking out of it. She handed it to Angela with a napkin. "Nice and hot. The cafeteria here is very small," she said, wrinkling her nose a bit.  "This whole place is very small. Could use an update."

Juice glanced at Angela as she murmured a quick thanks to her mother and started to eat, her shoulders hunched forward just a little. He had noticed her do it before in her mother's presence. As if she was trying to make herself smaller, invisible. Elena seemed to notice too as her eyes, the same dark color as her niece's, grew a little sad. "We should head home before it gets too late, Graci," Elena said, standing slowly from the chair.

The look of relief on Angela's face was quickly masked as she took another bite of food. He could tell Elena caught it by the slight smirk on her face. Graciela nodded, grabbing her purse and heading towards his bed. "You be good, Juancito. Don't let those nurses get too handsy," Graciela told him, leaning over to kiss his cheek. She turned to Angela, a small smile on her face. "And you take care of him."