Ch. 39 Faults

Juice sat at the table in Elena and Graciela's house staring at the wall in the dining room feeling numb. Angela was gone. He was aware of Koz and Hap telling Elena and Graciela what happened, but he couldn't wrap his head around what they were saying. In his mind, he kept replaying Angela leaping onto Cameron's boat. She'd just jumped. No one had forced it on her. She'd willingly leapt onto Cameron's boat. She'd wanted to protect Abel. Her big fucking heart saw the baby was in danger, and she'd sacrificed her own safety to ensure his. He closed his eyes, shaking his head. He'd put her in that position. He'd told her to check on Tara. What had he been thinking? They could've easily sent over another Son! She was the first person he called whenever he was in any kind of trouble. That was why he called her. It was instinct. Shit happened, call Angela for help. He'd told her to bring someone, though! How the hell did she manage to get out of the clubhouse during lockdown without a damn shadow? Why hadn't anyone stopped her? Where had Kozik been? He glanced up at Kozik who had his head down and was being unusually quiet. "Where were you?" he rasped, catching Kozik's attention.

Kozik's head snapped up, eyebrows raised. "What?"

"When she left, where were you?" he repeated, glaring at him. "She was supposed to ask you to go with her. She was supposed to have a shadow, but she went alone. No one else would've forced one on her if she said it was okay. You were supposed to be there for her. Protect her. Where. Were. You?"

The blonde scratched at the back of his neck, shifting from foot to foot as all eyes fell on him. Graciela's face softened just a bit. "Oh, mijito, you didn't..."

"Wasn't usin'," he stated quickly. "I was...occupied."

Juice's jaw dropped at the idea that Angela had slipped away because Kozik had been fucking some Croweater in the clubhouse. "You gotta be shittin' me."

"Hey," Happy stated, looking between them. "Kid probably didn't ask anyone. She hates shadows. Jax's place is close; probably thought she didn't need one."

"Yeah! She knew where I was! What I was doin'! Wouldn't be the first time she interrupted!" Kozik defended with a scowl.

Juice didn't give a shit. All he could think about was how Angela was gone. How she might be dead, and it was all Kozik's fault. He stood up quickly, getting in Kozik's face. "You were supposed to protect her!"

"I did! She's a grown ass woman! I can't control what she does!" Kozik shouted back, not backing down from the challenge.

Juice was well aware that Kozik could kick his ass, but he didn't care at the moment. He was furious. "You shoulda tried!"

"Basta!" Elena said, raising her voice to cut off the bickering while Happy stepped in between them. (Enough!)

Happy pushed Juice backwards while holding Kozik back with a hand. "Stop! Ain't nothin' we can change now!" he shouted, glaring between them. He pushed Juice into a chair. "Sit down! She chose to get on that fuckin' boat! She didn't have to! Fightin' about it ain't gonna bring her home!"

Elena nodded in agreement, looking relieved that her son was taking care of it. "She's going to be fine. She's going to take care of the baby and come home. Vas a ver." (You'll see)

Juice wasn't okay with it. He was angry. Angry at Kozik, angry at her. How could she do that? Just put her life in jeopardy like that? What had she been thinking? How could she leave him like that? He couldn't breathe. It was all too much. He got up from the chair, kicking it aside before storming to the backyard. He started to pace, tears pricking at his eyes as the idea of never seeing her again played through his head.

"Juancito," Elena's voice was soft, soothing as she approached him.

"I can't...why did she have to leave? What if I can't find her? What if...what if I never see her again?"