001. open arms

————

————

neveah lux parker     December 28, 2023

001. open arms.
(irl)

  Unfortunately, it's my birthday. my twenty-first to be exact. which means i'm at the legal age to drink, which is exactly what i'm gonna do tonight. normally i'd be off the walls excited to do anything i put my mind to for the special day. but this year, i'm not in the mood.

Why, you may ask?

Girl, i don't know. i just woke up in a sour mood. might be because it's raining hard as hell outside right now. or maybe it's because my best-friend has yet to text me a bunch of happy birthday's like she usually does. it's one in the afternoon, what is she doing for her not to be caring about my birthday today?

So right now, i'm listening to my sad playlist, sulking and brooding on my couch while dramatically looking at the rain drop down the big windows of my sky rise apartment.

I heard keys jangling outside my front door, which made me scrunch my eyebrows and snap my head towards it. suddenly, it burst open and in walked a group of tall, athletic built women that i have the pleasure (not) of seeing everyday. i say (not) because all they do is get in my nerves and raid my fridge and cabinets without my permission.

One of them in particular, standing at 6'1 with a head full of curls and pretty brown eyes with the brightest smile ever; is my bestfriend. who i am pissed off at right now. Aubrey Griffin. yeah, her.

She walked towards me with her arms open and her smile upwards, she grabbed me and lifted me up in the air. literally lifted me up off the couch. i instinctively wrapped my legs around her waist so i wouldn't fall.

"Happy birthday, my veahhhh." she said in my ear as she continued to hold me, rocking us side to side. I closed my eyes on instinct, her presence was such an alleviation for me. no matter what i was going through, her being around me; always made me feel better and safer.