22. Our shared morning

Hey lovely readers. I am back! And to everyone who missed this story, your love is appreciated! Let's get a move on then!

The following morning, Karishma awoke feeling groggy, her eyes flickering erratically. She yawned widely, gazing at the unfamiliar ceiling before noticing the other side of the bed was empty.

The sound of the shower was audible, prompting her to check her phone for the time. It read 8 AM.

With Haseena apparently out of sight, she stretched, her body contorting as if trying to invoke rigor mortis. After another yawn, she managed to sit up.

She was exhausted!

Karishma groaned; the bedding had done wonders to her back.

Sarcasm intended.

However, the ghostly feeling she had was less about the bed and more about her sleeping companion. It had been years since she shared a bed with anyone—since she was about 15. Her sleep was often troubled, which was why Suraj had once insisted so strongly that they have separate beds when they were younger.

In the middle of the night, she found herself draped over Haseena like a snake, nearly pushing her to the bed's edge. It was a wake-up call. She quickly retracted her limbs and rolled to the bed's other end, fighting sleep to avoid further embarrassment. After all, Haseena tumbling off the bed would not have been a pretty sight.

Yet, she succumbed to sleep again, only to awaken with her head hanging off the bed and her feet on Haseena's stomach.

She rolled over once more, attempting to be inconspicuous, using her phone in an effort to disrupt her sleep.

But it was futile; she fell asleep regardless.

As Karishma pondered her late-night antics, the bathroom door clicked open, and Haseena emerged, patting her wet hair with a towel.

"Did you sleep well, Ms. Singh?"

She grinned, and Karishma rolled her eyes. "Bilkul, ghode nahi haathi bechkar soe thhe. Aur kuch?"

Haseena chuckled, seated before the dressing table. "So cranky early in the morning!"

Karishma feigned offense with an audible huff, observing Haseena move her hair from side to side while drying it.

'Shayad inhe hamari raat ki harkaton ka pata nahi chala'

Feeling somewhat relieved, Karishma finally got out of bed and headed straight for the washroom when she heard Haseena flinch.

Turning around, she noticed Haseena fumbling with something at the base of her neck.

"Kya hua, Haseena ji?" Karishma approached as Haseena groaned.

"Ye chain hamare baalon main atak gaya hai shayad. Isse zara theek kijiye na, Karishma."

Karishma nodded, took over from Haseena's fingers, and began untangling the fine strands from the gold chain.

She managed to free the chain in seconds, stepped back as Haseena murmured her thanks, and tied her hair into a ponytail.

And Karishma Singh found herself inexplicably drawn to the sight of Haseena's nape. Her gaze involuntarily followed the line of her spine.

"Aapko aate ka halwa pasand hai?"

Karishma was quick to look away as Haseena turned her head back in query.

Karishma pinched her arm, attempting to rouse herself from her absurd daze, and nodded.

Haseena smiled in response, "Perfect, hum breakfast banate hain, aap fresh ho jaiye. Kapde aap hamari wardrobe main se dekh lijiyega".