forty-seven

Daenys imagined that what she felt while she was waiting outside the Great Hall was a fraction of what Rhaenyra felt before she ascended the Throne for the first time. There were Lords and Lady's from all of the Great Houses, as well as many noble representatives who presented themselves. Everyone in the Great Hall was waiting for Daenys to present herself and she was alone behind the doors to the hall. Alone except for Ser Erryk, her faithful sworn shield, and the knights manning the doors.

Before she was to walk, Daenys took a moment to close her eyes and breathe. She mouthed out the front of her dress, an anxious habit, and ensured all of her jewelry looked right on her fingers. She looked fine and it was her birthright.

"Princess, are you ready?" Ser Erryk asked, standing at her back and awaiting her command.

Daenys opened her eyes, steeled her nerves, and nodded her head. Waiting any longer would do no good and Daenys was prepared to accept the burden of her birthright.

When the doors burst forth at Ser Erryk's command for her to walk forward and present herself, Daenys held her head high. She walked forward into the hall, descended the stairs, and stood before the crowd while she was announced. Daenys kept her eyes only on her mother who was on the Throne before her. The utter devotion and trust Rhaenyra had always shown Daenys was one of the reasons she found herself able to stand proudly in front of a crowd of largely unfamiliar people.

"The Princess Daenys of House Targaryen."

The title of heir would be added once more after the ceremony. Making it official would mean everywhere she went, that was the title to be used. Once she married Cregan, she liked also be the Lady of Winterfell. Daenys was a titled woman.

Daenys eyed her mother, who was sitting regally atop the throne. Despite the neutrality of her features before her people, Daenys could see her chest swell with pride. Ever her honourable and worthy heir. There was never fear or panic that Daenys wouldn't be ready at the drop of a hat to lead the Seven Kingdoms. She was made for it.

After looking at Rhaenyra, Daenys' eyes flitted down toward the base of the throne. Her entire family was standing closest to Rhaenyra—everyone she held dear. Daemon, Corlys, Rhaenys, Jacaerys, Lucerys, who was holding Joffrey's hand, Baela, and Rhaena. Only Daenys' youngest siblings were absent as they wouldn't understand what was happening and a crying fit wasn't a good look for a naming ceremony.

For the first time in eons, Daenys swore there was something she might call pride on Daemon's face. She was someone he moulded, a girl like him but with her own fiery personality she never allowed to be crushed. Perhaps there was finally something to be proud of.

When Daenys was ready, she swept forward toward the throne. Daenys didn't look down at her feet, she didn't stumble, and she didn't hesitate. Hesitation was weakness and none would be found within Daenys before a hall full of those seeing the Crown Princess for the very first time.

At the base of the throne, Daenys first bowed to Rhaenyra, her Queen. She dipped low, careful of the headpiece, before turning to face the crowd of friendly and unfriendly faces. Sympathetic to Rhaneyra or not, they would swear fealty to the Queen and her heir.

As much as Daenys wanted to search for someone in particular, she could not afford to make any move that would betray her innermost feelings. Daenys stood stall and still, regal, while Rhaenyra led the ceremony from the throne.