A little shorter

20th February, 2014

Dear diary,
                      Believe it or not, I'm still trying to adapt to the routine of writing in a diary. It could be much worse than a five day gap between entries, but expect much larger ones. Between school issues, lesson planning, generally forgetting and other plans outside of being an educator that I have going on, writing in this diary is really the least of my worries.
   I don't have much to write about at the minute, but I do want to make some attempt at getting into the habit of writing diaries. I'm quite used to reading and writing...pretty much everything else.
   One of the main things I think students forget about when it comes to their teachers is that they live a life outside of the school building. I was a student too, I don't know how many times I will repeat this to you, I have thought about these things myself. It is pretty tricky to imagine anybody's life outside of when you're around them, much less a teacher you won't be seeing outside of however many hours of the week you have with them during school time unless you stumble across them in the streets or something. When I think about it from the student's perspectives, it makes me feel more inclined to write about what I do outside of school and preserving it through my writing rather than simply living it. Seriously, diaries are so much better than people make them out to be! I'm also a history teacher, so I have studied and helped students study diaries in history. When I'm ahead of history lessons at the end of the year, I've decided that I can do a lesson on diaries in history. For something that fascinates me so much, I'm really alien to the idea of writing a diary myself.
   But, as I previously said, I could really use it. I struggle to confide in anyone, even Gisèle at times. And although it does help a little, complaining about my life to Sorrel doesn't do much. I think I ought to start bringing this diary into school and writing in it during my free periods and lunch breaks when I'm not on detention duty.

   -Caline E. Bustier