o n t h e f e n c e

"Say you could pick any superhero to be your dad. Who would you choose?" Cory asked.

"Batman, no question," Ellis said. "Live in a cool cave, borrow the Batmobile."

Shawn nodded. "He lets Robin hang out with him and he's not even his real kid, he's his ward."

"How do you get to be a ward?"

"Batman?" Cory shook his head. "Is he faster than a speeding bullet? I don't think so. Is he more powerful than a locomotive? Uh-huh."

"Boy, boys," Marissa cut in. "Why stick with the most basic superheroes? Iron Man would be the best dad. He has super-intelligence aka no more homework for me, plus he's a bazillionaire! "

"So is Batman Issa," Shawn pointed out. "At least Batman would take me to fight crime too, iron man looks too lame to do that."

"Shawn I am not having this 'Batman Iron Man' debate again! They are so different! Plus why aren't you bugging Core about Superman?" Marissa says with a fierce look in her eyes. "Superman would totally spy on you. Aka no privacy at all."

"I would make a very cool ward."

Marissa shook her head annoyed at Ellis.

"I'd like Superman for a dad," Cory insisted.

Shawn was about to retaliate when his gaze caught on someone. "Hey, look- there's Minkus." He pulled out his water gun and shot the boy in the back of the head.

A smile flickered across Marissa's face before hitting him gently on the arm. "Be nice, Shawnie."

"Ow," the boy said without bothering to look up.

"Whoa!" Cory gasped as he looked at the water gun. "The 2000-X Hydro Saturator."

"Careful. If Feeny sees this baby on school grounds, he'll snag it and I'll have to sit out on the water wars."

Ellis pulled out his water gun. "Gentlemen and lady, meet the Hydro-5at 3000, Blow your head clean off." Marissa rolled her eyes at the boy's exaggeration while her friends exclaimed excitedly over it. "I know a guy," Ellis boasted smugly. He shot Minkus in the back of the head as well.

"You really shouldn't do that," the boy said as he closed his book and stood.

"Why? You gonna melt?" Shawn taunted.

"No," Minkus said simply as he pulled out a case with a much larger gun. "I'll retaliate. So go ahead, make. me. wet."

Marissa's eyes widened at the weapon that couldn't even compare to others". "Wow Minkus. I'd want you on my army if I didn't know you."

The boy's face broke out in a smile, all menace gone. "Thank you, my dear Marissa! Your comment made all those around vanish, and all my eyes could focus on were the lovely gold specks on your beautiful brown eyes." The brunette rolled her eyes at Minkus after he pulled out a bouquet of lilies. Marissa smiled in appreciation "Thank you again Minkus but like I told you in English, I don't need all these gifts." She then lifted a large bag filled to the brim with flowers, chocolates, And stuffed bears.

Shawn, Corey, and Ellis gaped at the large bag of treasure. Marissa sighed at the boys' reaction, completely used to it as Minkus does this every other week.

"Ah, who needs one of those?" Cory asked gesturing towards the waterguns. "For your information, a well-placed splash for a water balloon can give you as much your cash." He stood and walked over to the water fountain to fill his balloon. "Like everyone's gonna have a humongous water gun." He turned and his eyes widened at everyone's guns trained on him.