Second Mission - No Man's Land Trip Two

Hesh: The Federation had once again broken the already weak "peace treaties". We were sure Rorke was behind this attack. But we were unprepared this time, and the Federation was way too strong. Civilians were killed, murdered, tortured.. few were those who flew, and even fewer those who were uninjured. 

[Map of both Americas, with Federation territory in black, invasive ink, and US territory a white page. The ink spills over all of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Oklahoma, half of California and a bit of Nevada.]

Hesh: We lost too much. We had to take risks that if failed, we couldn't afford. We had to pay No Man's Land another trip. This time, not to San Diego, but Oakland. Mik and I would be going.

[Fade.]

(No Man's Land Trip Two - June 30 2032, 0503. Lake Merritt, Oakland. Sgt. Michael "Mik" Millton. Task Force STALKER.)

Hesh and Mik were both underwater, in Lake Merritt. Since the Federation had taken over, sea mines were placed. One wrong swim and you'd be gone.

"Remember, our goal here is recon. Get every detail you can about the Federation and their forces." Hesh whispered into the intercom. Mik nodded. "Follow me." Hesh said soon after, swimming away. Mik followed close up. Both soldiers swam like dolphins through the waters, before Hesh held up a hand to show Mik to come to a halt.

"Swim up now." the lieutenant said, before swimming to the surface himself. Mik followed, their heads soon breaking the water surface.

"Two tangos, dead ahead. We'll snipe them. On the count of three, take the one on the right, I'll take the one on the left. Ready? One, two, three, now!"They fired, the surpressors on their sniper rifles doing their job marvelously. The two Feds dropped dead, and both Ghosts swam to the shore, taking off their diving gear.

"Hide the bodies, we can't have them know we're here." Hesh said, already grabbing one of the bodies and dragged it into a bush. Mik grabbed the other and did the same. "C'mon, clock's ticking. We have to RTB at 0700. Stick to melee weapons, long range guns won't give us anything here." the lieutenant urged, already quietly stalking away, keeping in the shadows. The sergeant went behind him, his knife ready. "Don't attack unless you have to."

A group of Feds was standing nearby, talking. "Let's see if we can listen in.." Hesh muttered, gesturing Mik to quietly creep up on the Feds.

"...wey, Rorke 'ta loco, ¿qué quiere más? Ya tenemos bastante territorio, dudo que los gringos puedan contratacar." (mate, Rorke's crazy, what more does he want? We already have enough territory, I doubt those Americans can counter-attack.)

"Vos si que sos tonto, Rorke ya no es la cabeza. Sigue teniendo poder solo por simbolismo." (You really are stupid, Rorke ain't the head anymore. He only still has power because of symbolism.)

"¡Callese! Yo no quiero que me ejecuten por su culpa, ¡imbécil!" (Shut up! I dont want to get executed because of you, dumbass!)

"Si todos sabemos que El Fantasma lo dirige todo, ¿acaso ya no podemos decir la verdad?" (But we all know El Fantasma is behind everything, or is the truth forbidden to say now?)

"Ay callese. Solo con su nombre me da miedo. Lo he visto, en Caracas, y ostía el escalofrío....." (Oi shut up. His name alone scares me. I saw him in Caracas, and my God the shiver that I got.....)

"Va, venga ya, par de hijos de putas, hay que ir ya. No quiero llevarme gritos por sus idioteces." (Bah, come on now, you sons of bitches, we have to go already. I don't want to get shouted at because of your stupidity.)

The Feds' patrol then walked away, all quiet. Hesh looked at Mik. "Rorke is not in power? El Fantasma..?" he spoke quietly. Rhetorical questions, since none of them knew how to answer them.