Kabanata 8

Del Rico #2: The Other Wife
Kabanata 8
Kahit kaunti

The tension between the visitor's eyes and the family that just arrived makes my stomach churns. Especially now that Sebastian Del Rico found me and his stares have been digging on my skin.

I wanted to vomit while singing earlier because their eyes were all on me. The visitors are happy listening but then... the family of the man who owns the surname connected to my name now is making my knees wobble.

They're a high caliber family. Sebastian's mother, Berlina is an heiress to a wealthy conglomerate man that doesn't oftenly show his face. Only Berlina is well-known to the public because she married a Del Rico.

And Berlina... I think she knows something. Her eyes might be cold but I can sense that her way of scanning me the whole time I sang means she knows me.

"Thank you. That was wonderful . You sound like a siren," Regina tried to ease me by her soft smile but that didn't even take one half of my fear.

"Wow..." ang babae kaninang nakipagkilala sa akin. "I'm certain about my offer earlier. Kapag hindi ka pa rin nabigyan ng album, I'm willing to start my own records for you."

Isang ngiti na lang ang naibigay ko sa kaniya nang lumapit sa akin ang isang babaeng mula sa pamilyang kasama ni Berlina kanina.

"Hi! A pleasant song you've presented to us," bungad ng babae. "I haven't heard of your name in the entertainment industry but you're a very good singer."

Lizzie Rivera looked stunned.

"Hi..." the woman noticed her.

"Fiona Devi..." Lizzie murmured.

Ang babaeng tinawag niya ay humalakhak ng pino at marahan bago ulit ako hinarap. Tumikhim ako at naalala ang papuri nito.

"Salamat po," simpleng tugon ko.

She heaved a sigh.

"Are you free to have a simple talk?"

"Yes, she is!" Lizzie decided for me.

Horrified, I snapped my head at her. She gave me a wide smile and she leaned closer to my ears.

"It's not everyday you'll meet a Devi. Go on. They're the most secretive family in the Philippines. Not the most wealthy but they're known to be influential silently."

"Ah..." hindi ko mabuo ang sasabihin dahil hanggang ngayon ay hindi ko pa rin alam kung tama bang tanggapin ang alok nito.

"Please," Fiona Devi said. "This is an important family matter."

After I heard that, I found myself beside Fiona, following the family she's talking about together with Berlina. Regina was left there to entertain her visitors.

I can sense that the crowd understands what's happening with the family. May bulong-bulungan pa na hindi naman talaga lalabas ang pamilyang iyon kung walang importanteng sadya.

My body trembles in nervousness. I don't know what awaits me. Ano ba ang kailangan nila sa akin? Pakikiusapan akong putulin agad ang relasyon kay Sebastian?

Alam kong sagabal akong malaki lalo pa at mayroon ng hakahaka tungkol doon. Silang dalawa ay kilalang tao sa entertainment industry at ang pamilya nila, parehas may sinasabi. Politiko ang kinabibilangan ni De Vera, si Sebastian ay pareho namang propesyunal ang pamilya.

Kahit saan tignan, ako ang putik na dumikit sa kanila. Sa laki ng pamilya nila, sa yaman at pagiging maingay nito hindi lang sa Pilipinas, ano ang magiging laban ko?