Chapter 14 - Meeting the Family

Chapter 14 – Meeting the Family

Friday, May 11, 2028
9:30 AM
Jake's residence, Houston, TX USA

Jake: I had Uncle Peter, Aunt Amanda, Cassandra, Kevin, Uncle Jonathan and Aunt Gloria come to visit. They met Kendra and Julia, and I went to explain more about them. Everyone looked at each other than at me, and they smiled.

"For the first time, you've mentioned someone whose alive, not dead." Uncle Peter said. "By the way, not sure if you're aware but Jake had a sister once, who isn't with us anymore."

"Oh, I had no idea." Kendra responded. "I kinda noticed you were looking sad. But chose not to say anything."

"Ancient history for some, but for me, it feels like only it was yesterday." I answered, then started crying a few tears. "I wished I could have..."

"It's okay, man!" said Uncle Jonathan. "We know it's not your fault."

"You can't be hard on yourself though!" added Aunt Gloria. "Charlotte wouldn't have wanted that."

"She's right." Aunt Amanda said as she soothed me. "Now you must live, but for yourself. And Kendra, are you okay?"

"I am perfectly okay!" said Kendra. "All that matters now, is getting safe somewhere, for me and Julia."

"I don't know of any other safe place than my home, Kendra." I told her. "But then again, I know you can't stay forever."

Aunt Amanda looked at me.

"I need to talk to you in private, Jake!" said Aunt Amanda.

"Sure!" I exclaimed.

We moved to a corner room.

"Do you love her?" asked Aunt Amanda.

"Love who?" I asked. "No, it's nothing like that. I don't love Kendra."

"When did I say Kendra?" replied my aunt. "You know, Peter is Rachael's brother, but she also was my best friend."

"I do like Kendra a lot, but I don't love her. And even if I did, I can't be with her, knowing Charlotte haunts me." I had to say that.

"She'd want you to be happy. You should tell Kendra how you feel. I'm sure you love her daughter too." Aunt Amanda suggested.

"I most certainly will someday." I said.