Winter Seduction

Leo had loved New York in the winter, not the New York of slushy muddy puddles and soot streak snow which had lain too long waiting for the eventual thaw of absent spring. No, the New York in the beginning of winter, dusted with pristine winter snow, pure and untouched. The city sparkled and called to him as he walked down the deserted twilight streets oblivious to the cold and falling snow. Leo had been in New york for the past century and had seen the bustling metropolis grew from farmland to the center of the financial world. He had seen it all, had lived it all, had known it all. Leo was older than he looked.

That evening, Leo strolled through the deserted streets, bored and uninterested. The city was engulfed in a blizzard, but to his preternatural senses, it felt like any other ordinary day. The snow that would have blinded anyone else had no effect on him.

Leo was tired. Centuries had passed since his rebirth in 1159 in Athens, Greece. He had traveled the world and watched it change. There was a time that his kind hid in the shadows, manipulating kings, princes and whole nations for simple pleasure. But things changed when humanity entered the Age of Reason, art, philosophy and science began to leap forward and within 300 years the world had become a different place. It was only a matter of time before the existence of the vampires was discovered in every corner of the world. Strigoi, Nosferatu, Vrykolakas, Upir, Moroi and countless others throughout the world were forced into the light. And now in the new millenium, after a half century of bloodshed and war, the world took a breath and stepped back from the brink of total annihilation. Vampirekind and Humankind made peace.

Leo shook his head, his thoughts had drifted again into the past. He pushed the history of the last century from his thoughts and looked around. He had been walking for the last hour and now realized he was in a different part of the lower east side of new york than he was used to. No longer the upscale, bohemian, noveau riche vibe of Greenwich village. This was the bleak, sterile industrial vibe of the FiDi.

This was the corporate center of New York, towering office buildings, small restauraunts and stores that closed up shop when the banks and financial markets closed for the day. As Leo walked down the deserted streets his eye caught a small block of light coming from a lone store window. He wondered who would still be working at this time in an area that closed at 4pm most days.  It was also a blizzard and the city had shut down around midday.

He walked up the block, trudging through the snow until he stood outside the window bathed in the light. It was a gallery, Pictures hung on the walls and suspened from the ceilings. portraits of people, in black and white, and vibrant color. He marveled at the lifelike quality and the depth of the photographer's talent. As he continued take in the displayed work, he saw pictures of buildings, statues and places he recognized from both the old and new worlds. Places that he had walked, lived and loved in. He felt transported and for a minute he was no longer tired. It was as if life had flowed back into him.

As he continued to stare awestruck through the glass, he caught a vague hint of motion out of the corner of his eye. Snapping out of his reverie, he saw the most beautiful man. He seemed to be made out of pure sunlight. He walked carrying a large portrait, oblivious to the fact that he was being watched. He placed it on a center easel and then stood back to appraise its position, stepping forward he slight turned the easel just a fraction to the left so that the overhead light struck the photo just right. That small adjustment made the picture burst into technicolor life and Leo gasped.

He must have touched the glass of the window because the man turned and saw him looking in. He smiled and made his way to the door and opened it.

"Hi, welcome. We are not open to the public yet but if you would like to come it and take a look around, as well as get out of the weather..." Liam said looking at the amount of snow that was covereing Leo.

"Yes, I would like that if it isn't too much trouble." Leo said smiling.

"Not at all, come in, come in." Liam said grabbing Leo's hand. 

Well, What do you think?  I would love to know so if you feel inclined please leave a comment and a vote.  Thank you for reading my story!