ii. lucky ball

♬ 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠: 𝐢 𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 - 𝐭𝐚𝐲𝐥𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐰𝐢𝐟𝐭

THEY DROVE AROUND THE UNFAMILIAR AREA and Cecilia had a nasty look on her face. She missed all the skyscrapers and big buildings now it was all just suburban houses lined up in a row.

"This is straight out of some psychological horror film."

Cecilia explained, her expression keeping its cold gaze toward the houses that passed her eyes. Cecilia was starting to miss New York more than ever, and it began to get her irritated. She'd been snippy with her parents and refused to take her headphones out. Not to mention the jet lag was getting to her.

There was no time difference.

"I think it's nice! You'll get used to it Cece I promise."

Cecilia's Mom reached her hand to the backseat of their new car to ease Cecilia and try to reassure her. It was about a three-hour drive to their new house and they'd been in the car for two, so only an hour left. Cecilia watched movies and played on her phone for most of it. However, she'd occasionally look out the window to observe what her new life would consist of and she gathered this; trees, gas stations, grocery stores and did she mention trees? It was so boring here. She missed the city and all the stores and people. Here it was just empty and lifeless.

She finally took her headphones out only to hear Daryl Hall & John Oates playing one of their hits Out Of Touch. It was one of Cecilia and her Dad's favorite songs to listen to together. She smiled reminded of the memories they shared dancing in their apartment together. It gave her a sense of comfort while she felt uneasy. She had to keep reminding herself that change was good and everything was going to be alright.

They finally pulled up into the neighborhood. As they turned in Cecilia and her parents immediately took notice of their neighbor's house. It was a mess. It was a two-story suburban just like any other home but there was all kinds of stuff in the yard ranging from a princess tiara, to what looked like a broken airplane. Cecilia took notice of a girl standing off to the side of the house shooting a basketball. The girl was wearing a jersey with a number one on the back, she looked about her age and had her brown hair tied up into a ponytail.

Before she knew it the girl threw the ball and it hit off the rim, heading straight for the street that Cecilia's family car was approaching just as they did, Cecilia winced as the car made a thumping noise and they all rose from their seats for a moment as if they were going over a speed bump. Her Dad had run over the basketball and it popped.

"Goodness Adrian, first few seconds in the neighborhood and you've already embarrassed us, that poor girl."

Cecilia's mom reprimanded as she frowned a bit.