3

Word Count: 2012

~Dove

I sit cross-legged on my bed, mindlessly pulling at a stray thread on my patchwork quilt.

Eden sits with her back to me, preening herself in the mirror of her vanity.

Night has well and truly fallen, and instead of grumbling at Eden to snuff out the gaslit lamp, I'm sitting up, biding my time.

I'm attending the party tonight. I cannot be swayed otherwise.

"You alright?" I ask my sister as she threads her blonde hair into a braid behind her.

She's been sat at that vanity for an inordinate amount of time. Her smooth skin glistens beneath the light, every errant hair plucked, every blemish treated with some creamy concoction.

"Why wouldn't I be?" She asks, finally pulling herself from the mirror.

Her gauzy nightdress sighs as she clambers onto her bed, the old cot creaking from her movement. She settles beneath the sheets, placing her frayed, threadbare stuffed teddy on her chest.

"You seem anxious," I observe. "Plus you've been smothering my creams onto yourself all night."

"I want to feel pretty," she muses, staring up at the ceiling.

I stare at the side of her face, wondering what it would feel like to be as beautiful as she is. I've never been jealous of my half-sister until I got a bit older, realising she seems to have the world at her fingertips while there isn't much in front of me.

"For a man?" I ask tentatively.

He turns her head to look at me before she laughs huffily. "Oh please. You of all people should know not to say that."

True I suppose. Eden has never had much of an interest in impressing people. Whoever she is seeing must be special if they enticed her to commit to them.

I'm assuming she's preparing to sneak out tonight to meet with this mysterious person as she does often. Usually she's transparent with me, not wanting to frighten me when she picks her way from the room.

"I'm just checking." I wiggle deeper under the covers. "Like dad always says, don't get pregnant."

"Trust me, that's not going to happen." She twists her finger around the tuft of hair at the end of her braid. "I would give you the same warning, but unfortunately I can't."

"Unfortunately?"

"I just feel like there's a whole world you seem to have no interest in exploring. People you have no interest in meeting..." Her brows knot with concern.

I stare up at the ceiling, resting my hands on my stomach.

I've always been a restless person, yearning for more than what life has offered me so far. Complaining about my situation, however, has never felt productive, so my sister is left not understanding a big part of me.

"It's not that I have no interest, it's that I want to make sure our father is looked after," I bring up quietly.

"He's a grown man, and not half as fragile as you think," she notes. "He might be upset if we move out and start our lives elsewhere, but he would quickly get over it."

Maybe, but not if it meant forgoing the values he holds so dear.

"I don't want him in that job forever. It's going to kill him." I roll onto my side, watching Eden fluff her stuffed teddy bears ears.

I would tell Matthias to fire him, but he's too greatly valued. Plus my father wouldn't know what to do with himself were he not in the centre of this pack's politics.

"It's stressful, but he's a good war advisor. A great one."

"I know..." I murmur. "Remember last week when he said he felt like something was coming, and Matthias dismissed him?"

I asked Matthias about it and he dismissed me abruptly enough for me to know he's anticipating something. My nerves are fried not knowing, since he usually imparts his problems onto me with ease.

"Alpha Matthias, by the way. You need to get better at speaking his title or you'll get dad in trouble," she scolds, narrowing her soft brown eyes.

"Sorry, I know." I clear my throat. "I'm just saying father is stressed, and Alpha Matthias isn't taking his warnings seriously."

"Nothing bad is coming, don't worry. You know how dad overthinks."

Eden is disturbingly good at brushing things off. She doesn't stew in worry like I do. Were I not anxiously anticipating the party, I would be lying in bed with the weight of my problems pressing down on my chest.

"I guess so. We should probably get some sleep," I murmur.

She leans over, flicking off the lamp, dousing the room in a comfortable darkness.

"I love you, Dove." Eden's voice fills the room, easing my heartrate down to a comfortable pace.

"I love you too."

Seconds, minutes, or perhaps even hours pass by. For a while I thrum my fingers against my stomach, listening to Eden's gentle breaths. However, like most nights, they lull me into a light slumber...

I wake with a start.

The room is still dark. Tossing my comforter off my legs, I lean over to click the lamp back on. My eyes ache from the abrupt cascade of light, but a couple of blinks eases my sight back.

Eden's bed is empty, her duvet neatly folded back into place.

Glancing at the clock, I realise it's only an hour and a half until midnight.

"Eden?" I call out softly, my voice sounding painfully loud against the pleasant quietness of night.

I doubt she's just gone to the bathroom. She must have left to meet up with her lover like I suspected she has, giving me a chance to prepare.

My muscles are tightly wound with energy as I stand, wincing at the familiar creak of the floorboards. If father wakes and finds me dressing for a party, I'll be in a world of trouble.

Wow. I'm really doing this.

Nothing feels real as I skim through my wardrobe, plucking out a dress I already had in mind to bring. It's not red or black, but a dusty rose colour with frothy bits of lace on the bodice and hem, and tiny hand sewen flowers scattered on the front.

It's modest and sweet, and unfortunately, all I have.

I dress quickly and quietly, easing into the fabric, pausing every time I hear a faint noise. Sitting before Eden's vanity mirror, I brush my hair and leave it loose around my shoulders, forgoing makeup. I'm running out of time.

My footsteps are slow as I pass through the short hallway, my hands braced against the wall so I don't slip on these thick heeled shoes and slam onto the ground unceremoniously.

I only let out breath when I pass through the front door, clicking it closed behind me.

It only takes me a couple minutes to get to the train station. I pick my way down the hill that's bathed in moonlight, fog curling like eerie skeletal fingers around my ankles. I pass over the creek, hopping from rock to rock before dashing up the hill to the station.

It's empty, fares free at this time of night. Mercifully a train already awaits me, a couple of people scattered through the cars as I step on.

No one speaks as we leave the station, anticipation and excitement gnawing away at me.

Time passes quickly as we rush over the border of Matthias' pack into Varian's. An ancient treaty bars them from disallowing members to pass freely between, making travel efficient.

I stare out the window, seeing only my reflection, minutes, and then an hour passing.

The train undulates hypnotically. The rhythmic ticking and hissing as we travel along the tracks would lull me to sleep were I not wrought with tension.

Distantly the lights of the city have come into view. My palms are damp, eagerness with a tinge of delirium pervading through me.

This is it. I'm really making the leap.

To my left two girls sit on the other side of the aisle, talking lowly between themselves. They got on a couple stations ago, coming from a small village in Varian's territory. They are dressed incredibly in vivid red and black outfits.

One is in a long dress with slats cut to her hips, revealing the expanse of her legs. The material is glittery and reflective, her breasts practically spilling out the top. Her friend wears a small velvety red bra and tiny shorts, with a oversized jacket with black fringe hanging off it.

Every now and again they glance at me, giggling between each other. I shift uncomfortably.

The one in the magnificent crimson dress leans over, her black painted lips forming a pleasant smile.

"What's bringing you into the city?" She asks.

For a moment I just blink, staring at her. This feels like a beautiful fever dream, and she is the sparkling focal point.

"The party," I answer. "Alpha Varian's party."

Her kohl lined lashes flutter in surprise. I am wearing a fluffy pink dress with frills on the sleeves that I very much wish I could tear off right now. No one would suspect that I'm heading to a party of pure depravity right now.

"Huh. I honestly thought you were going to a church." She says it so matter-of-factly that I feel the sting of her words immediately.

"Uh, no..."

The collar of my dress suddenly feels rigidly high, my fingers coming up to claw at it.

"I hope you have one of these then." She produces a shiny red foil slip seemingly out of nowhere. It has jagged edges and black print stamped into it.

"What is that?"

"This ticket was given to me prior to the event, and allows me access to the most of the palace," she exclaims, waving it around hypnotically. "Not just the first floor, like those relying on getting through the door will have access to."

She flicks her gaze up and down me, biting her lip to hold back her sneer of disapproval.

I honestly had no idea there would be restricted areas, but I suppose I don't need to see much more than the main party.

She's only using me to show off. I'm drinking it up, wanting to learn as much as possible before I enter into the predators den.

"Unless of course, you have the black slip," the girl in the jacket states.

"It's the most coveted slip, and can only be given out by the Alpha or one of his close confidants," red dress claims.

I raise my brows, only vaguely interested in that notion.

I'm attending the party to witness it, dance and perhaps make out with an attractive stranger before returning home. I don't need to worry myself with the Alpha.

"It allows you to join them in their private area where they come and go as they please," jacket adds, wiggling her eyebrows.

"It's basically an invitation to fuck them." Red dress smothers her giggle behind her hand, as if the thought is infinitely amusing.

I eye them, bewildered by their behaviour. It's clear to me that their motivations for this evening are to obtain one of those black slips for themselves.

"Oh please, Lisa. Look at her." Jacket nudges her friend. "She won't even be getting past the front door wearing that. She isn't even on theme."

I look down at my dress, running my finger along the lacy ruffles.

"It's all I had," I murmur softly.

The girls bow their heads together, laughing and talking lowly amongst themselves. Shame burns my skin, hot and fierce. I want to be confident in my modesty, to allow myself to enjoy covering my skin while others around me are not.

But their taunts dig into my head, sitting with me the entire train ride into the city.

"So much for uniting everyone," I whisper to myself.

💜••💜

As always, you can read this book 16 chapters ahead on Inkitt and 10 chapters ahead on Radish!

Your support means a lot to me!

~Midika 🐈‍⬛💜