Episode 3

The neighborhood was quiet, serene, and safe. Nick would go to work while Jennie would do some of the household work and continue with her novel writing. Nick would come back home around evening--sometimes it would also be midnight by the time he came--and Jennie would keep dinner ready for them both. She wouldn't eat unless and until he came home.

They would eat together, share what they did throughout the day (no matter how repetitive their day was) and go to bed at the same time after a cup of warm tea.

Jennie and Nick had met at a park one day. Both of them remembered their first meeting as vividly as if it happened just yesterday. Still, Jennie would keep reminding Nick about how he misheard her name the first time and called her 'Guinea'. 

At that time, Nick was embarrassed, but as time went on, that tiny joke became a fond memory.

Jennie and Nick had been happily married for nearly three years now. They would get questions from their family and friends about having any kids, but all she and Nick would say was, "There's still time."

No one knew whether they really were just taking time, or if there was some kind of a problem, but no one probed. 

It was nine pm, and Jennie was waiting for Nick in the living room. She was watching a soap opera but her mind was distracted. Although it was common for Nick to come home late, tonight felt a little different. Her gut clenched and her heart raced as if her body was being warned of some danger.

Maybe it was this new home, or maybe she was just overthinking it, but she felt scared for the first time in the longest time. 

She grabbed her phone quickly and messaged Nick, but the message didn't go through. Jennie then called him, hoping he would answer, but he didn't.

Her worry grew. She began pacing the room back and forth, hoping and praying that he would come home soon. She promised herself that if he wouldn't come home in another thirty minutes, she would go out herself to his workplace and look for him.

As she drowned in worry and unnecessary thoughts that churned her stomach, she had the front door unlock. She immediately ran to it and stood with bated breath. The door opened and Nick entered with a soft but tired smile on his face.

"Hey Jen," He said, closing the door behind him and placing the keys on the small table near the shoe rack.

Jennie calmed herself down and forced a smile for Nick.

"Nick, I got worried a little bit, you never replied back to my texts or answered any of my calls."

Nick and Jennie both walked over to the living room. 

"Yeah, my phone suddenly died and I was outside, so I couldn't really charge. Sorry hon."

"That's alright..." Jennie mumbled.

Nick sat on the couch and let out a tired exhale. He glanced at Jennie who sat at the edge of the sofa restlessly.

"Is everything okay?" He frowned, "Did you eat?"

Jennie shook her head, "Not yet."

"Let's eat then," Nick held Jennie's hand and squeezed it gently, assuring her that she can calm down now. That he was here.

Jennie nodded, "Why don't you go and freshen up? I'll heat up the food."

Nick yawned, "Alright."

He let go of Jennie's hand and both of them stood up. Jennie went to the kitchen while Nick headed upstairs.