Chapter I

5:58 p.m., when Shane Marie Austen, a Trinity Crestwood Global College student, went home from school. As a typical routine, since her boarding house is near the school's swimming pool, she will make use of the red gate, which will make her pass by the school's oval.

And every time, she would catch a glimpse of a boy running in the dark circle on the oval ground. At first, she thought that it was just a normal athletic routine, but how come a boy runs alone in an oval, every night at exactly 5:58 p.m.?

There was even one time when heavy rain fell. Shane expected that maybe this boy who was running in the oval would not be around, but she still saw the boy.

Despite the rain, Shane feels that, of how heavy the rain is, she feels the boy's heaviness in his heart too.

Shane was so confused by his act, and why would she feel that? She even didn't know the boy or even his name, and even if she didn't want to look at him, there's something in that boy that makes her head turn around.

That observation continues until the new semester starts.

"Okay!, since this is PATHFIT class, we will have our activity in the oval to make use of the space it has; it's not a problem since our pathfit is until 7 p.m.," her new instructor said. Shane immediately looked at the time on her wrist watch; it was 5:58 p.m., and as the class went to the oval, yes, he was there.

He sees the boy running around like there is no tomorrow. Shane felt an intense feeling as she finally saw the boy closer.

A tall, masculine man with tan skin who has big, round brown eyes, a little mustache, and lips as red as a rose. She couldn't focus on the activity every time the boy passed by in front of her to run.

Not until a ball with lightning speed hit her head so hard, like a canon that hits the ground, which made her so dizzy.

But dizzy as she is, she still clearly sees a boy who is coming; her heart palpitates so fast, like a cheetah springing into the savanna.

"Are you okay?" a deep voice with the sounds of worries and concerns dances in the ears of Shane. The boy helped Shane get off the ground and dust her off.

She couldn't help but ask, "What is your name?" The boy hesitatingly replied, "Ace.... Ace Hernandez."

"Thank you, Ace" Shane said.

Since then, Shane has admired Ace deeply, like a full-water well that can draw a person, as she was also drowning in Ace's presence, and so PATHFIT class became Shane's favorite class.

Even though Shane is not alone, she pushes herself to participate and act like one, just because she wants to be seen and understand the likings of the boy.

Efforts were effective. Ace slowly opens up to Shane as they both run around the dark oval every night. Sometimes, Shane brings food or beverages for them to enjoy and spend time talking to each other.

As time goes by, Shane slowly gets to know Ace, as Ace is also getting comfortable with Shane, for he introduced the girl to his friends. Blake, Ace's childhood friend, who knows the secrets of Ace, and Zack, his athletic companion.

Despite the closeness that they have, it is still a mystery to Shane why Ace runs every night in the Oval. Until the day arrives, she bravely asks him

"Why are you running every night here? I never see any flaws in your status; Is it still part of your training?" Shane asked.

"Yes" Ace replied.

"If so, how come Zack is not with you then?" Shane insists, but she sees Ace shutter and change the topic, which fires up Shane's curiosity even more.

So she decided to ask Zack about this the next day, and he replied, "Yeah, Shane, I've been keeping you this for so long. I want to tell you as early as possible, but every time I see you both happy and smiling, I can't, but since you asked, I'll answer it." Zack took a short moment to breathe and continued.

"The reason why Ace runs every night in our oval is his 'way'. His only way to cope with his trauma, his coping mechanism, because that place is where he and his ex bond together, but sadly, his ex died, and Shane that ex, it looks just like you."

Shocked by the revelation she heard, she still asked, "L...Looks like me. Can I see a picture of his ex then?"

"I don't have a picture of his ex or them, but Ace draws his ex in a portrait, which he displays in his room. I have a picture here." Then Zack showed her the picture, and it really looks like Shane.

Shane saw this as a trigger for Ace; still, she continues to run with him every night, but deep inside she is bothered. It is so unfair when we love someone unconditionally but are treated like someone else.

Not until one night, Ace want to talk with Shane.

"Shane.....I love you. Can I be your boyfriend?" with hopes in the eyes of Ace, kneeling into the oval's ground, waiting for the girl's response.

"Before I am going to answer you, Ace, answer mine first," Shane Coldy replied.

"What is it?" asked Ace.

"Do you love me because of who I am or because I look like your ex?" Shane didn't know that while she was asking this, her tears poured down like little drops of rain.

Ace froze; he didn't expect that coming.

"How did you know?" with a shaking voice, he asked.

"Zack told me everything," Shane said.

Ace felt so betrayed in that moment he wanted to punch Zack if only he was around, but as for now, he was thinking of how he could escape her question.

"I knew it; you don't need to answer" Shane said, walking away as that was also the last day of a semester.