CHAPTER 31

Nalu’s Point of View

After emerging from Sir Hayes' oppressive office, I exhaled a long-held breath of relief. I had never imagined that the whispers surrounding Sir Yoshio and me would escalate to such alarming proportions. As we silently descended to the second floor, the air was thick with tension.

“Whew,” I breathed, pushing the heavy oak door open and turning to look back at the office. “I really thought that meeting would go on forever.”

Sir Yoshio, chuckled softly. “You seemed fine to me. You actually held your own quite well.”

I rolled my eyes playfully. “Easy for you to say, you're not the one whose reputation is on the line!”

It wasn't my fault, nor his, that our hearts found solace in each other's company. The truth was, we were both caught off guard by the intensity of our connection, a whirlwind of emotions that neither of us had anticipated.

“Hey, Nalu,” Sir Yoshio protested, his brow furrowed in mock indignation. “I wouldn't have asked to accompany you if I wasn't prepared to face the consequences. Besides, it's not like we're doing anything wrong. It's just…” he trailed off, glancing at me with a sheepish smile.

The silence returned as you walked down the echoing hallway. The fading light of the setting sun cast long shadows across the polished floor, highlighting the dust motes dancing in the air. It was a peaceful, almost intimate moment, shared between only the two of us.

“So... about my mom,” I said finally, breaking the silence. “She's going to be... a little intense. You know how she is.”

Sir Yoshio gave me a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder. “I'm sure she'll be fine. We'll just be honest with her, and I'm confident that she'll understand. We'll get through this together, okay?”

The car purred to a stop, the familiar gate of the manor looming before me. My heart hammered in my chest, each beat echoing the furious rhythm of my anxiety. The moment I stepped out, the air seemed thick with anticipation.

“Magandang gabi po, Ma'am Nalu," Yaya Cel greeted me, a hint of surprise in her tone. I offered a strained smile, unable to meet her eyes.

Yoshio, his expression solemn, trailed behind.” So, here we are Nalu,” he said, his voice low.

The security guards, their faces stoic, nodded at our arrival. I could feel their gazes lingering, their curiosity burning like a hot coal in my stomach. “May problema ba?” Nagtatakang tanong ko sa kanila.

Nagkatinginan lang silang lahat at napatingin sila sa gawi ng aking ina.

My mother stood in the foyer, her eyes narrowed, a storm brewing in their depths. The maids and guards were like silent witnesses, their hushed whispers adding to the oppressive atmosphere.

“Nalu,” she said, her voice as cold as the marble floor beneath my feet. “Hindi ba’t si Sir Yoshio ‘yang kasama mo? Anong problema?”

Yoshio stepped forward, his gaze unwavering. “Mrs. Coleis, may problema lang po kasi sa school na dapat ninyong malaman.”

“Problema?” My mother scoffed. “Puwede bang ‘wag niyo na akong pag antayin ng sagot ninyo. Just tell me straight what's going on!”

“Mom, kasi—,'” I whispered, my voice cracking. “May nakakita po kasi sa amin ni Sir Yoshio na naghalikan kami.”

Her eyes narrowed further. “Halikan? Kaya ka nga pinapasok sa public school para maiba naman ang environment mo at the same time to learn on how to socialize with different people at mabawasan ‘yang pagiging spoiled brat mo. Tapos, iba naman pala ang pinag-aaralan mo!

“Ma—mahal ko po si Sir,” those words were like a whisper, a plea against the rising tide of my mom's anger.

“Jusko kang bata ka, ilang buwan pa lang kayong magkasama sa eskuwelahan and yet sasabihin mo sa akin na mahal mo siya? Naririnig mo ba ang sarili mo?” Bulyaw ng nanay ko sa akin. Napasapo na lang siya sa kanyang noo dahil sa mga pinagsasabi ko.