#21

Niharika entered the grand hall on the arm of Vishal, whose presence exuded a commanding air. His stride was purposeful, and she had to hurry to keep pace with him.

"Vishal, wait," she called out as he moved ahead without slowing down.

"What?" he responded curtly, turning to face her with a hint of impatience.

"Why are you walking away and leaving me behind?" Niharika asked, her tone a mix of complaint and concern.

Vishal sighed audibly, his expression softening slightly. "Sorry, Niharika. I didn't realize. Come on," he said, nodding for her to follow closely.

Sometimes, she pondered, he seemed to have sudden shifts in mood that caught her off guard. Mimicking his brisk stride, she caught glimpses of the breathtaking decorations that adorned the hall, momentarily taking her breath away.

As they navigated through the crowd, a man in his fifties caught their attention. Vishal's demeanor turned slightly stern as he greeted the man.

"Hello, Mr. Singhania. How are you doing?" Vishal's tone was businesslike, hinting at a formality that Niharika noted with a touch of discomfort.

"I'm fine, Vishal. And how are you?" Mr. Singhania replied, glancing briefly at Niharika.

"Good to hear. I'm well too," Vishal responded, his grip on Niharika's waist tightening protectively.

"Hey, I'm Mahendra Singhania. Nice to meet you, young lady," Mr. Singhania introduced himself, extending his hand towards Niharika.

"Nice to meet you too, I'm Niharika," she replied politely, ready to shake his hand when Vishal intervened.

"It's Niharika Vishal Singh Rathor," Vishal interjected firmly, accepting Mr. Singhania's handshake on her behalf.

"Niharika, Tara is looking for you," Vishal stated, gesturing for her to excuse herself.

Niharika nodded and quickly excused herself, feeling a pang of reluctance at leaving Vishal's side. As she wandered through the hall alone, unsure where to go, a group of ladies caught her attention and called her over. With nowhere else to turn, she approached them, hoping for some reprieve from the unfamiliarity and tension of the evening.

---

Mihika huffed in frustration as she scanned the crowded room, searching for a familiar face amid the sea of strangers. Niharika and Tara were caught up in their own conversations, and even Akriti was engrossed with her brother-in-law. Feeling somewhat abandoned, Mihika's gaze inadvertently settled on a figure approaching her with deliberate steps - it was Ishan.

"Ishan..." Her voice escaped her lips in a whisper as she met his gaze.

"When did you come back?" Ishan's voice was soft, barely audible over the din of the room.

"Today," she replied, tilting her head slightly, her eyes locking with his mesmerizing blue-green gaze.

"Why didn't you pick up my call last night?" Ishan's inquiry was gentle yet probing, refusing to break their intense eye contact.

"I..." Mihika faltered, struggling to form a coherent response under the weight of his unwavering gaze. After a prolonged pause, Ishan sighed softly.

"I'm trying to bring us back together, as we seem to be drifting further apart," Ishan's words hung in the air, laden with unspoken emotions that stirred Mihika deeply. She reached out instinctively towards him, but hesitated midway, startled by his next whispered admission.