38 • LIKE FATHER LIKE DAUGHTER

The King's room was filled the silence, except for the wine that was slowly sipped by Lady Charlotte quietly. Maegor had requested an audience with her to which she obliged.

"The Small Council is urging me to remarry.
It seems the realm wants for a new queen." He told her

Her heart wrenched up but she smiled dutifully. "A good and kind queen will give comfort to your subjects." She says in a gently soft tone, with caution.

"Does the Small Council have a particular lady in mind?" She questioned, her tone was laced with curiousity, eager to know if he'd choose her.

Maegor faced flickered. "Lord Corlys Velaryon has offered the hand of his daughter, the Lady Laena." He says awkwardly.

"A very strong match, Your Grace." Charlotte agreed with a keen smile, but her heart sank like stone down the ocean. An outrageously useless option.

"I must admit I, I don't know Laena very well." Maegor admits.

"I'm sure that she is good and kind, and that she will enjoy your company, as I have, Your Grace." Charlotte offered kindly, a smile etched at the corners of her lips.

Then she remembered her gift.

"I brought you something." She turns to the side and takes a wooden box off the table's edge and held it out to him.

Maegor inclines his head, peering at the box.

"I asked the stonemasons to mend it." the words fell off her tongue with love.

"This is...um a very kind gesture, Charlotte." Maegor remarked.

"Very kind." He said looking over the chest as he opens the lid to look inside, fascinated he brought out a velvet carved statue of a dragon that shattered two weeks ago, then drifted his gaze back Charlotte with a smile.

"Do you like it Your Grace?"

"I do." Maegor declares, as a loud knock came on the door. He puts the dragon back into the chest and shuts it, sitting up straight.

"Come!" His tone was stern and regal as the doors are opened.

"The Hand, Your Grace." Ser Harrold declares as he steps aside. Otto briskly strides into the King's chambers with an astute look of pride, deeply glad to see his daughter with the King.

"Otto?" Maegor began.

"Your Grace, I've called the Small Council to an emergency session." He says, stylishly looking at his eldest daughter.

"Why?" Maegor questioned.

"I think it best you hear it directly." Otto tells him.

Sighing. Maegor stood up. "Very well.... Send for Rheanyra to meet me at the small council." He walks past Otto and heads for the door.

As soon as the door was shut. Otto turns to his daughter. "You're doing well my dear."

Charlotte sighs. "Let's hope he chooses me."

"He will." Otto boasted assertively. "Very soon our plans will prevail."

••••••••
Sunset cast the room, in a warm light, streaming through the windows. The small council gathered around the table, all seated as their orbs were placed in the dish.

A dragonkeeper stood, ready to address the King speaking High Valyrian. [Atroksio sÿndrorro massitais āeksīss ñuhīs Masso Jėdunna]

"It occurred occured in the blackness of night my lords, during the Hour of Bat..."