Chapter 8

One week later

King Hugo

It had been a week, and today was finally the engagement dinner party, and things weren't going well. That night, Sofia found out what was happening, but it didn't end well at all.

Flashback

"Which is why it's better to have the enemy closer," I said, smirking at William as he nodded.

"So, in other words, William is being used as bait?" Asked Elizabeth as Sofia gasped.

"Hugo, we can't allow that!" She said as I looked at William, shaking his head.

"Mom, it's fine. I don't mind; besides, it's for the kingdom," he said as she shook her head.

"No, I will not allow this, and that is my final word! If you'll excuse me, I lost my appetite," she said, standing up and walking away.

It was then William turned to face me, upset, as I smiled slightly.

"I'll go talk to your mother," I said, standing up and heading toward her.

"Dad, don't stop it. I want to do this," he said as I raised my eyebrow at him.

"Are you sure?" I asked as he nodded.

"Alright, then. Thank you, son," I said, smiling before going after Sofia.

'If I didn't know any better, I think she would be outside the balcony in our room.' I thought as I headed to our room.

Once I arrived, I immediately saw that the door to our balcony was open, and I headed in her direction.

As I got closer, I saw her looking up at the stars as I walked to her and hugged her from the back as she took a deep breath and relaxed.

"Why?" She asked as I sighed, knowing exactly what she was referring to.

"Because it has to be done this way," I said as she turned around and looked at me, upset.

"No, it doesn't. You're making it be this way," she said, stepping back from my hug as I frowned, upset.

"Sof," I started, but she cut me off.

"Don't Sof, me Hugo!" She exclaimed as she walked inside, and I followed her.

"You didn't have a problem with it earlier. Why now?" I asked her, confused.

"Because I don't want my son to be used as bait!" She exclaimed as I sighed.

"I don't want that for our son either, but what choice do we have? Sof, our kingdom is in trouble, and he wants to help," I said as she shook her head.

"He's just a boy," she said as I smiled and shook my head.

"Sof, our son is 20 years old. He's a grown man whom I am proud to call our son," I said as she continued to look upset.

"Look how much he has grown. He's like you when you were his age: determined, brave, and smart," I said as she began to lose her guard.

"I am proud of him for showing that, but I am his Mother. I want what's best for him," she said as I frowned, confused.

"And I don't?" I asked as she sighed.

"I didn't understand my Mom and why she worried all the time when I was young until I became one myself," she said as I thought momentarily.