19. Late Night Scheming

SHOCKINGLY, ANOTHER EVENING DETENTION LOOMED OVER Nora and James, and this time, McGonagall had assigned them to clean up the Potions classroom

SHOCKINGLY, ANOTHER EVENING DETENTION LOOMED OVER Nora and James, and this time, McGonagall had assigned them to clean up the Potions classroom. The cauldrons needed scrubbing, and the shelves filled with various ingredients, vials and herbs needed to be reorganized.

James walked into the room first, immediately hit by the sharp, tangy smell of spilled potions and cleaning supplies. He walked to a window and stared outside, not doing any work until Nora came.

Over ten minutes later, she walked in without saying a word.

"Is it possible that we both come on time for once?" James asked, watching as she sighed and picked up a scrubbing brush and got to work on the nearest cauldron.

"Chances are low," she shrugged.

James nodded, getting to work on a shelf filled with dust, bottles and vials. "So," he began slowly, "have you given any thought to what we've spoken about yesterday?"

Nora kept her eyes on the cauldron, her hands moving in circular motions. Her hair was tied up in a ponytail, though a few strands seemed to be falling out at the front and bothering her.

"Yeah, I suppose."

He kept staring at her. "And?"

"I guess somebody needs to figure out what's going on with her..."

"So you agree to help me spy on her?" James summed up, his eyes lighting up. And she still hadn't given him as much as a glance.

"Don't call it 'spying'," she said, blowing out the one strand of hair, though it flew back immediately. "It's merely... investigating."

James smirked. "You're practically saying that you, in fact, do want to play detective games with me."

He could see her roll her eyes, but also the left corner of her lips tugging upwards. "I just want to see if there's anything we should worry about," and she finally made eye contact, "so you'd better take this seriously."

"Sirius is my middle name," he retorted, grinning proudly, at which she scoffed.

"Okay, then..." she said lowly, unimpressed, though James swore he could see her smiling.

"We need to come up with a plan, then."

"What do you suggest?"

"Her office is the obvious first choice," he stated, crossing his arms. Neither was now doing what they were supposed to. "My third class tomorrow is Arithmancy, which means that the others have Muggle Studies. We could sneak into her office and see what we can find."