Prologue

Kai was walking home one day around midnight, it was raining heavily and he was soaked. His cloak was up over his head and he was staying near the shadows. Kai kept walking hoping to get home soon, but suddenly he heard something. The hood on his cloak moved a bit, but he quickly put his hand on it and looked around.

'Is a human pup crying?'

He wondered. He thought for a moment wondering if he should go check for himself or leave it be. He sighed. He started following the crying.

As Kai walked he wondered if this was a good idea. He thought that maybe it was just a lady out late trying to get home. Suddenly he heard the sound of armour nearby. He quickly hid beside a house and watched as some guards passed by him. It looked like they were following the sound of the crying to. Kai kept watching them for a moment. He thought that maybe he didn't need to go check it out. If the guards were already heading there, then there was no reason for him to go. But something seemed off.
He sighed and quickly looked for a faster route to where the sound was coming from. Kai looked up, realizing he could go on top of the houses. He quickly started climbing the rocky wall of the house and got on the roof. He started running and jumping over the gaps.

He soon reached where the crying was coming from. It was a dark, and narrow alleyway.
Kai slowly got down from the roof of a building and looked over by a set of stairs. He walked over to the source of the crying and looked down. There was a small basket with a blanket in it.
Kai knelt down and slowly pulled the blanket down a bit. He stared in shock. Inside was a small newborn baby. The baby looked at him and slowly stopped crying, but something about him caught Kai's eye. The baby stared at Kai and suddenly a small pair of wolf ears perked up. The baby giggled at Kai.
Kai just stared at him for a moment before silently saying something.

"You're.. Just like.. Me..."

Kai said. Suddenly he heard the guards again. He gasped and quickly grabbed the basket. He climbed up on the roof of the building again and watched as the guards looked in the alley. He kept the baby quiet. One of the guards spoke up.

"See! I told you it was nothing. It was probably just a lady getting home late."

The other guard looked at him and sighed.

"Okay, okay. You were right. Now let's get back on patrol. I want this night to end quickly. I'm hungry..."

The guards laughed and talked as they walked off. Kai sighed in relief, he looked at the baby and noticed he was hugging his cloak. The baby was asleep but shivering. Kai stared at him for a moment, he couldn't help but feel like he needed to protect the little pup. Kai got off the roof and started walking home with the baby.

He knew he had a job now, a duty. And he knew it was more important than anything.