*New Birthday Song*

WordCount}4467

Type}Hurt/Comfort

Request}a_RULERZREACHF4N_

Additional Information}Alive AU- They all come back and Father Marcus doesn't die, loosely based on  a_RULERZREACHF4N_ AU

⋅•⊰∙∘༓∘∙⊱•⋅

Noel had never been the biggest fan of birthdays.

Well— he's never been a fan of his birthday.

He liked to celebrate others more than himself. Because, last year after they all became one with the living and actually starting being better friends, he was the one that suggested to plan a bake off for Constance's birthday and helped pick out gifts for everyone.

With the help of Ocean because she's trying to be a better friend to everyone but she doesn't really know them that well still, so at least she's trying. But Noel still did the most- as he'd like to say.

And he'd actually gotten late birthday gifts for Ricky, Mischa, and Jane- Penny, her real name is Penny- even though her memories were fuzzy and slowly coming back to her. He wasn't even sure what she wanted but she ended up liking it anyway which he was really happy about.

He's not sure why he does it. Constance says he has 'people pleasing habits that stem from his childhood and high school'.

Which— okay. But, like, what does she know? She wasn't there when his dad left and his mom turned to alcohol. Or when the whole school found out he was gay-

No, she was there. And Ocean.

They actually helped him through it. And gave him an escape when his mom was in one of her moods. Even if Ocean was a bitch she did have a heart.

Anyway, yeah. He had people pleasing issues which is probably why he liked to plan their birthdays and take forever to pick the perfect gift.

And part of the reason he never liked his birthday was because it was never celebrated.

Even when he was young, the most he would get would be a 'happy birthday' in the morning from his parents and he never bothered to tell anyone else anyway. Not even Ocean knows, and they practically grew up together. He'd always find a way to steer the conversation away from it and always answered 'Sometime March' so that they could never pin point it and they would only remember by the time the month is over.

And Constance would try and apologize, get him a cake and gift, but he'd always say that it's fine and eventually she would give in and not do it. But he'd always find himself regretting it for the next day of two until he forgot about it.

Maybe part of it was because he also forgot what day- he always knew it was sometime the first week but never what day because they start to blur together- his birthday was on after so long.

The last time he ever remembered getting a cupcake or gift was when he was seven. But the cupcake was something Mrs. Blackwood gave him because he helped Constance from bullies and the gift was some shitty small notebook he found on a park bench.

It, somehow, wasn't the worst he's ever spent his birthday. Maybe it was when he got jumped in seventh grade, or the year his dad left.

Better not to dwell on it.