CHAPTER, 6 BAY

After my conversation with Luna last night, I couldn't get the thoughts off my mind, they're coming and I could feel it.

I got out of bed lazily, slipped into my nightshirt, wondering were to begin, I walked towards the large windows at the right side of my bed, it was snowing outside, an early snow I thought.

I heard three knocks at the door at the other end of the room and turned instinctively toward the sound, already knowing who was there. "Come in," I answered.

"Good morning, Sir Richer," said Angus as he walked in, carrying a tray laden with my morning tea.

"Good morning, Angus," I replied, turning around to face him as he set the tray down on the wooden table stationed in front of the large window overlooking the forest.

Angus spoke again, "You have an early guest, Sir Richer. He said he rode through the night to meet with you."

"Who is it?" I asked, though I could already guess the identity of my unexpected visitor. There was only one man brash enough to arrive unheralded at such an hour.

"Bay Herman," Angus replied, I sighed, thinking his timing impeccable as always. "Don't be so disappointed, he came bearing news," added Angus.

"Ah, good news then," I said, hoping for an easy morning despite the weather.

"No, I'm afraid not good news, sir," said Angus solemnly. "Bay claimed there is trouble brewing up north, though he did not elaborate."

A sense of unease crept over me. "What kind of trouble?"

"He didn't say, sir. Best ask Bay yourself," replied Angus. "With that, I'll leave you to your late morning routines."

He took his leave, closing the door behind him with a quiet click. Classic Angus, ever respectful of propriety. Then his final words registered - "late morning routines?" I glanced outside in disbelief. Surely it couldn't be so late? But the sun was well up, the snow now falling gently. I must have slept longer than intended.

As I entered the living room, a delectable aroma filled the air - one I hadn't experienced in this castle for far too long.

Curious, I followed my nose to the hearth. There I found Bay flirting merrily with Luna beside the fire, helping herself to whatever was cooking. For a moment I caught myself thinking how well they looked together - Bay with his fair hair and easy nobility, Luna lively and comely as always.

"Richer!" Bay exclaimed in his usual cheerful manner upon seeing me. But I had eyes only for Luna just then.

"Bay, a word," I said pointedly, clearing my throat. "In the study, if you please." I shot Luna an apologetic glance, hoping she didn't notice my less than welcoming mood.

As Bay and I departed, Luna spoke.
"Morning, Cedric,". "Morning, Luna. Did you get any sleep?" I responded. She only shook her head no.

I nodded, pulling Bay by the arm to lead him in the opposite direction towards the study.

"What a beauty you have there. Who's she? Someone important?" he asked eagerly, his eyes lingering on Luna in a way that hinted at growing affection.

"Umm, Bay, that's Luna," I replied, hoping to steer him back to the matter at hand. "More importantly, what bad news did you bring?"

"Bad news? I didn't put it that way," said Bay, though I fixed him with a pointed look. Really, Angus?

"That Angus," I muttered with frustration.

"Well, I saw the Symetric Sect gathering up north. It was strange - I thought their leader was banished," Bay continued.

"The Symetric Sect, you mean the Witch Coven?" I asked in shock, the name sparking dreadful memories.

"Yes, that sect. And my father would be worried. The plague that blighted the land due to her evil reign ten years past still has the people struggling to recover," said Bay grimly.

"But Hodar is dead, my grandfather killed her a hundred years ago," I said heavily, realizing the danger if Hodar's coven had truly reformed. "Well, this is bad news, and very bad news at that," emphasizing my point by jabbing a finger firmly at Bay.

He recoiled slightly, concern flashing across his features. Bay replied, "Relax, Richer, relax. You could easily vanquish the witch yourself, right?"

"It's not that simple, Bay," I sighed, running an agitated hand through my hair. Two troubling reports in just two days - could they somehow connect?

As I moved to leave, Bay called after me worriedly, "Umm, Richer, what's the matter?"

Pausing in the doorway, I glanced meaningfully at him. "For now, don't call me Richer around Luna," I instructed pointedly.

Bay looked puzzled. "Then what should I call you? What's going on?"

Leaning in, I lowered my voice. "Call me Cedric. I'm doing this for her protection - if she knew the truth, she'd flee, endangering herself again"

Though still confused, Bay nodded obedient agreement. "Okay, Cedric." Together we rejoined Angus and Luna for breakfast.