one

CHAPTER ONE; THE REAPING

POV; SEDONIA.

THE REAPING CEREMONY. it happened once a year, every year. twenty four tributes from each district would be taken from their home and put into the arena to fight to the death. one would win. it was entertaining to be honest - but also very inhumane.

todays reaping was different. one of the top prospects of the academy would be chosen to to win the plinth prize - myself and my friends apart of this but we all knew who was going to win it inevitably.

currently, i was sat in the back of my families private drivers car, fiddling with the necklace that sat around my neck. i wore a sage green satin co-ord with gold heels and gold jewellery. custom of my mother, of course, we had to keep the rich image up.

i sighed and muttered a thank you to the driver as i stepped out of the car and started walking up the steps into the academy where people were walking in and taking their surroundings in.

i smile as my friends wave me over - minus coriolanus who seemed to be yet to arrive.

"sedonia, i must say you look stunning." felix says to me, a small plate of lamb in his hand.

"thank you felix. you all look very nice." i smile in response, examining their outfits.

"finally, the star pupil." arachne interrupts as coriolanus walks over, "that's a snazzy shirt. what are those buttons? tesserae?" she asks, earning a slight laugh from myself and festus.

"huh. that's why they remind me of the maids bathroom." coriolanus says back, looking down at the top button of his shirt.

i never bought it when coriolanus would talk about wealth and things. his driver, maids, cook. i just didn't believe it for some reason. i never knew why. so i never brought it up.

"have you tried this lamb? it's scandalous." felix asks, sounding astounded at the taste of the lamb that he was eating with his fingers.

"ugh. only the vulgar eat with their fingers, felix." festus sighs, his face not hiding that he was disgusted at the thought of eating with your fingers, "what, daddy never teach you table manners?"

"maybe he would have if he wasn't so busy running the country." felix claps back, earning a small laugh from myself and arachne which was very quickly shot down by festus' annoyed gaze. "hey, they called us here for the plinth prize, right? because i heard dr gaul is in the building." felix continued, sounding slightly unsure.