Chapter 8

One of Us

The next day Claire walked to school like she had been all week. Jade had come to pick her up on Monday, but Claire just walked right past her car, and then on Tuesday she just didn't show up.
As much as it sucked to ignore her best friend, Claire hoped that Jade was getting the message. All this time away from her had made Claire realize that maybe they weren't so good of friends after all.

She made her way through the hallway alone, catching what was left of the lingering stares from the week. Most people had moved on, but a small amount of the student body still thought of her as "the crazy girl from the press conference".

Her classes moved slowly, but it was hard to pay attention. All she could think about was that she was a werewolf now. She wasn't herself anymore, and she felt like people could tell. The worst part was that she didn't even remember herself changing last night. She never noticed it until Leo said something. Every chance she got she'd glance down at her hands, just to make sure she didn't have claws spontaneously growing out of her finger tips. When she used the bathroom or passed a window she found herself checking her reflection, relieved every time to see her own face staring back at her.

She had begun to notice new things too–things that should have tipped her off about being a werewolf earlier. Sounds hit her ears before they did others and suddenly people talked a little too loud. She could understand the whispers in the back of the classroom, hearing word for word how hot that one guy was or how dumb their teacher was believed to be. Scents overpowered her nose and wouldn't leave, sending her into a sneezing frenzy every time she got a little too close to someone's perfume or body spray.
By the end of the day she was ready to curl up into a ball and never re enter society. But as she made her way to the front doors, Jade called her name.

Claire turned around to see her former friend smiling at her from where she stood at her locker. Claire made her way over, noticing that Jade had switched her perfume.

"Hi," Jade said, beaming again.

"Hey," Claire sighed. She glanced back at the doors, wishing she were walking through them.

"I wanted to tell you something."

Claire held her breath. This was it: her apology. She had had some time to think and she was ready to reconcile.

"Yes?"

"I am...officially dating Trevor Marington!" Jade gushed and all of Claire's hope deflated. "Isn't it amazing?"

"That's great, Jade." Claire gave her a tight smile and turned to leave.

"Aren't you happy for me?"

Claire stopped and turned around. "Yeah, I am. Congrats."

Jade frowned. "You don't seem like it."

"What do you expect me to say, Jade?" Claire sighed. "You haven't talked to me all week and this is what you so desperately needed to say to me?"

Jade blinked at her. "Were you expecting something else?"

"Oh no," Claire grumbled, rolling her eyes. "I was just hoping for an apology for what you said on Saturday."

"That whole werewolf thing?" Jade cocked her head. "You're still hung up on that?"

"It wasn't even a week ago!"

"You know, Trevor says we shouldn't focus on the past, especially when someone does something we don't like."

"Did Trevor say anything about caring about your best friend?" Claire growled through clenched teeth.