1 // company

I gasped as I awoke in a bed. I looked around me and saw a bunch of tubes shoved into me. One in my arm pushing in some sort of fluid. My eyes looked straight at the door when I saw a girl in a matching shirt and pants with a clipboard in her hand. Her eyes widened in surprise as she rested the clipboard at her side. I didn't say a word to her, but she finally stuttered out some words.

"Ma'am, Hello I'm sorry I didn't expect you to be awake so soon" I lick my dry lips as I squeeze out some words, but my voice was squeaky. "W- Where am I?" I ask and his expression softens as she walks to my bedside. "The hospital, you were found 3 days ago in a river, unconscious, the police weren't sure what happened to you, you came in without a scratch on your body" I nod as my memories flash to the fall. I just remember feeling like I had been punched in the gut and nothing else. The lady had a soft cough before speaking up once more.

"What's your name?" she asks, pressing the end of her writing utensil and holding up the clipboard. "Irene" I say in my scratchy voice. She looked back up at me expecting me to continue but I only tilted my head and furrowed my brows at her reaction. "Last name ma'am?" I raise an eyebrow a bit. "A last name?" I asked and she seemed a bit nervous, but she smiled, nonetheless. "Well, do you have anyone we can call?" I shake my head at her question, and she sighs but nods. "I'm going to leave you here... I'll have some food brought up to you and the police will be around sometime soon... I'm sure they have many questions for you" She walks out of the room leaving me alone.

I started looking around the room and down at myself. Was I really awake, was this another part of my imagination? I was finally starting to go insane, wasn't I? I looked down at myself and I lifted the blanket and I saw I was in some gown, and I plopped the blanket back down. I looked down at the tube taped down on my arm and I grabbed it pulling it out which strangely caused a quick short-lasting pain... I had never felt pain in my imagination, my head. I was incapable of feeling anything I didn't want to feel when I was there. I started to panic more as I realized I was awake.

I mean... How? Who? This didn't make any sense. I felt worse when I had a ringing pain in my head and voices coming through it. Angel radio. I forgot that was still a thing. Even though I wasn't exactly an Angel myself being their mother figure I wanted to keep an eye on them even when I wasn't around so to do that, I tapped into it. Most of what I could pick up was panic... straight panic and some anger. Apparently, every Angel had been thrown out of Heaven.

I came back to reality when I heard footsteps in the direction of the room I was in. I squinted when I saw a man in a trench coat turn his head looking behind him before entering the room and shutting the door and looking at me. It took me a moment of staring for me to notice. "Angel" I say and his head twists to me and stares at me for a moment and slowly nods as he walks over to me. "And your... not?" he says with a very confused look on his face, but he was pointing out I wasn't an Angel. I shook my head, and he tilted his head.

"You're quite a young one" I say with a soft smile, and he seemed a bit nervous, but he only walked closer until he was right next to the bed. "How-?" I chuckle as I knew he was most likely created after I was stuffed away. "My name is Irene" I say hoping that he had heard of me from word of mouth from the other Angel's at least. He froze in his skin as his mouth almost fell to the floor. "Y-You mean THEE Irene... GOD'S wife Irene" I nod, and he plops down in the chair that sat beside the bed. "Th-The Angels all thought you were dead" This caused me to furrow my brows.

"Why would that be?" I say straightening my posture in bed. "That's what GOD told them" My face fell from sadness to anger, my fists balling up as I tried to keep calm. "Where is he now?" I ask angrily but also as a genuine question. He only shrugged. "No one has seen him in... a while now, he left a little while after you "died", and no one has seen him since" I let out a deep guttural sigh. I look around the room as I pull the rest of the tubes out of my body. "Can you get me out of here?" I ask, swinging my legs off the bed.