1

I sighed as I placed the papers on his desk and sat down. "Why the long face?" He asked. I pouted and leaned back. "Nothing, just tired. I mean, this whole thing is happening too fast. Are you sure about this?" I asked. He laughed and scoped through the papers disinterested in their contents. "It's a big change, I know. But I trust you to make the best of this. Dependable and humble, you take after me, " he said with a smile, I rolled my eyes. "You're violent and arrogant. I take that as an insult, " I reposnded as I stood up and began to walk away. "If I mess this up, it's on you, I warned you." I added. He smiled. "Go on, make me proud."

As I left and walked down the hall, I was joined by a familiar face, "so, how'd it go?" He asked. I groaned and pressed the elevator button. "He's definitely determined," I replied tiredly. The man laughed. "So you got the job, you should be estatic, everyone whose anyone here would take that without a seconds notice," he responded happily. I hummed with a frown. "Exactly... everyone else is more suited for this responsibility. I'm not like you guys, Marco..." I complained, the man patted my shoulder "thats exactly why he chose you. You've brought a whole new perspective to us here." He said as the elevator door opened, I got in and pressed the ground floor.

"Well, im going home. I wanna get my peace before I'm thrown into a hierarchy I have no experience with, " I sighed out as the doors shut. The quiet atmosphere really began to set in the pressure, I had been given the job role of managing business collaborations. Doesn't sound hard, right....

NO!!!.

I HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL THE CREDIBLE PARTIES WANTING TO WORK WITH OUR COMPANY AND KNOW IF THERE WORTHY OF OUR TIME, THEN FIGURE A DEAL AND PERSUE MARKETING FOR SAID DEAL!!!

TO REALLY SET IN THE SEVERITY OF THIS POSITION, I WORK FOR MY ADOPTIVE FATHER EDWARD NEWGATE, HES A TOP TIER ARISTOCRAT IN THE BUISSNESS (and underground) SCENE.

In other words, I'm having to interview stuck-up rich assholes who wanna rip off Pops. How did I end up in this position. I'm so happy to be part of such a family business, but... THIS!?!?!?!

I could either make or break our company with one decision.

I was so lost in thought I didn't realise the doors open, a man stepped in and let out a big sigh. It snapped me out of my thoughts. Looking up, he was already staring at me with a smile. I looked away quickly, trying not to seem like I was staring. "You look stressed," he spoke up. I glanced back at him. His smile stayed. I hummed, "You have no idea.." I responded, offering a smile back, and I checked my watch for the time.

"Have somewhere to be?" He asked, I sighed,"apparently, " I admitted slouching against the wall of the elevator. He hummed and looked around with a whistle. "Not much of a talker are you," he spoke, I raised a brow at him. "Or is it just you talk too much? You're obvious staring and posture signify you're a confident man, your casual clothes with last night's spirits stained on them show you're a careless person with an alcohol problem. And your insufficient chatting tells me you're not used to quiet company. If anything, I have a feeling you're someone I don't want to be around when you're drunk, well... more drunk. " I read to the man, his eyes sparkled as his body shifted, leaning a little forward and showing his interest.

"You're an observant woman, I'd expect nothing less from Newgates staff. So what had you so stressed?" He questioned, glossing over my analysis. I sighed. "I've been promoted, now if you excuse me" I said approaching the man, gently reaching my hand out and pushing him to the side as I did, the coat he had slung over his shoulders dipped. Where an arm was supposed to be... wasn't. My eyes widened, but I recomposed myself quickly. This didn't go unnoticed by the man as his smile widened at my short expression. "You're in my way. It's my floor, " I spoke, pushing past him as he stood in the way of the door. He sighed and followed behind me. "What do you know, it's my floor too," he replied playfully. I hummed. "Yeah, I guessed, considering you didn't press a button when you got in the elevator," I explained back to the man as he tailed me. He laughed. "You really have a sharp eye. Why didn't you wait for me to get out instead of pushing past me?" He inquired, I groaned and turned to face the man with a smile. "Because you didn't have any intention of moving,".

He smiled. "I'm shanks," he said.

"And I'm leaving, "

I turned around to walk away again, and he reached out, grabbing my hand. " Come on, a name woke hurt," he replied. His grip was gentle yet firm. He didn't want to hurt me, but he wasn't gonna let me go either. "Let me put in a good word for you, amazing hospitality," he added jokingly. I sighed. "A good word is what landed me this promotion. I'd rather not get another." I joked back. Shanks let go of me with a hum. As he did, the whole room relaxed. He noticed everyone tense as he put his arm on me. It seems I'm a lot more important to Newgate than I let on. The whole place was willing to interfere if he made a wrong move. He watched me as I walked away, "Lets go, Benn," he spoke calmly.

"What did you do that for?" Benn asked. Shanks smirked and began walking with him. "She's interesting. Recognise her?" He asked the man. Benn huffed. "Not a clue, I'll get Lime to look into it," he replied. Shanks hummed.

"Wanna get a drink?"