Chapter 14

The days flew. My rigorous schedule kept me busy. Between classes and studying, I rarely had time for anything else, and yet, despite living with Triston, it was Preston who wouldn't leave me alone. By the end of the following week, it became clear I couldn't blow him off forever.

Preston's messages got more persistent, so I decided to call him on Sunday once I worked up the mental energy to deal with him. Knowing Preston, he probably believed he'd given me enough space or time to figure things out. He'd want to get back together, and for the first time, I was on my own, enjoying my freedom.

I should have enlisted Tristan to help deal with his brother since he created this problem, but truthfully Preston and I had been broken before Tristan interfered. I hadn't been happy being Preston's girlfriend.

Not really.

I'd fooled myself into thinking because Preston was such a good guy and desired by other girls, I was lucky he chose me as his girlfriend. But truthfully, my self-worth suffered, more so after losing my mother, and I had to find a way to restore my confidence. I'd lived in Preston's shadow for too long.

I did a quick tidying of my room, before changing for a run.

We were having an unseasonable cooler temperature thanks to days of storms. The brisk air kissed my cheeks and I inhaled deeply. October crept around the corner, and it finally felt like autumn, bringing those rainy, grey days. I wasn't religious in working out, but I enjoyed the release of endorphins and tried to squeeze in a day or two a week.

Today the sun finally shone in the clear blue sky. I loved everything about fall. October was my favorite month of the year because of the slight reprieve from the heat. And of course, Halloween. Some people loved the magic of Christmas or the romance of Valentine's Day. I preferred the allure and mystery of All Saint's Eve. The smoky bonfires. The thinning veil between the living and the dead. The pumpkin flavored everything. And the coziness of the season.

My feet hit the pavement as I ran through campus, staying on the main pathways. I would love to run through Cascades Park during this time of year, but I hadn't been able to get up the courage to venture off campus since that night, not alone at least, and Sam wasn't a runner. She was most likely still fast asleep from her late Friday night, which I'd opted to stay home.

I kept it short, only a few miles, and slowed to a brisk walk, cooling off my muscles. The air in my lungs burned but in a good way. I could taste the elements of autumn, everything cleaner, brightening my senses.

My heart rate began to level out when a shadow appeared to my left, and for a split second, I panicked, my body afraid I might be attacked again. I whipped my head to the side as a deep voice said, "Hey."

My gaze landed on Brody, the cute coffee shop guy. He had a playful smile tugging at his lips, the wind ruffling his surfer-esque sandy locks.

He must have noticed the startled expression on my face or the widening of my eyes. "Did I scare you? Shit, sorry."

I waved him off, catching my breath. "Hey," I greeted, exhaling, and my lips curving a moment later. "You're not at the coffee shop. I wondered if they ever left you leave."

He chuckled. It was a nice sound that warmed my belly, chasing away the tingles of fear. "They do occasionally. Are you starting or ending?" he asked, looking down the path I'd been walking.

I noticed he wasn't in his usual coffee shop attire, which made sense since he was off the clock. He had on gym shorts and a sweatshirt, the sleeves pushed up his forearms. Perhaps he was out for a run too. "Ending. I'm heading home to shower. My roommate and I are going out tonight."