CHAPTER : 6 His Past

Janaki's POV

Janaki's POV

A week passed in a blur of routines and fleeting moments, each day blending seamlessly into the next. Life seemed to carry on with its usual rhythm, and before I knew it, the weekend had arrived again. On this particular afternoon, our home was filled with a lively energy. Sharvari’s grandmother had come over for a visit, bringing Sharvari along with her. The house was bustling with activity and laughter, an air of warmth and familiarity enveloping us all.

Sharvari and I were engrossed in a game of hide-and-seek, her giggles echoing through the rooms as she darted around, trying to outsmart me. Meanwhile, my mother and Sharvari’s grandmother were seated comfortably in the living room, their conversation flowing easily as they caught up on family news and shared stories.

As I paused for a moment to catch my breath, hidden behind a doorframe, I overheard the two women’s conversation take a more serious turn. They were discussing Neelesh, and the tone of their voices grew somber. Sharvari’s grandmother sighed deeply, her voice tinged with a mix of sadness and concern.

“It’s been difficult for Neelesh ever since his fiancée betrayed him,” she said softly, her words carrying the weight of past hurt. “He used to be so full of hope, looking forward to starting a family. But after what she did, he’s found it hard to trust anyone again. It broke his heart, and now he seems to have lost faith in love altogether.”

My mother nodded empathetically. “It’s so hard when someone you trust betrays you like that. It can leave deep scars.”

Sharvari’s grandmother continued, her voice reflecting her deep concern. “He’s become so withdrawn, distancing himself from women, almost as if he’s afraid to get close to anyone. He doesn’t want to go through that kind of pain again. He’s convinced that avoiding attachments is the only way to protect himself.”

“But that’s no way to live,” my mother said gently. “Everyone needs love and companionship. It’s sad to think he’s shutting himself off from that possibility.”

“Yes, I am particularly worried,” Sharvari’s grandmother added. “I have  been urging him to consider marriage again, to give himself a chance to find happiness. But he’s so stubborn, so resistant to the idea. He’s built this wall around his heart, and it’s going to take someone very special to break through it.”

As I listened, a pang of empathy tugged at my heart. I recalled the fleeting interactions I’d had with Neelesh, his polite yet guarded demeanor, and the way he always seemed a little distant, even when he was being kind. It all made sense now, the pieces of his story falling into place. His reluctance to engage with others, especially women, was rooted in a deep-seated fear of being hurt again.

The thought lingered in my mind as I resumed playing with Sharvari, her laughter pulling me back into the present. But the conversation I had overheard stayed with me, a reminder of the complexities hidden beneath the surface of our everyday interactions. It made me see Neelesh in a different light, not just as the man who had intrigued me with his kindness and reserved charm, but as someone carrying the burden of a painful past, someone who needed understanding and perhaps a bit of patience.