Laurin Love, RN

It had always been my dream to work in an extended care facility like Diamond Estates nursing home in Pensacola, Florida. After 4 long years of nursing school and aide work here and there, I was more than ready to begin my first day of being an actual nurse.
I decided to began my job hunt soon after I found out that I passed the NCLEX. I didn't feel ready to begin working in a hospital, plus I really had a passion for helping the elderly. I knew growing up this is the path that I was supposed to take.
After applying at a few random nursing homes, I just so happened to stumbled across Diamond Estates. The exterior of the facility was beautiful and the few residents who were outside looked like they were loving the facility almost as much as me.
I walked in and instantly knew this is where I wanted to begin my career. I found my way to the front desk to inquire about an application for an RN postion. The kind woman behind the desk excitedly handed me the form and called the director of nursing and the owner of the facility to come out a greet me. The secretary, Linda Winters, informed me that there would be an interview done today.
I began to fill out the application when I was interrupted by a tall, dark haired man.
"Hello, I'm Tom Billings, the director of nursing. And this is Kathy Mason the owner of Diamond Estates. Linda called and told us that you were looking to fill our third shift RN position, is that correct?"
"Yes it is. I'm Laurin Love. It's very nice to meet you. I was out applying at other places when I drove past here and saw the beautiful exterior. The residents outside look so full of life," I began to ramble trying to make a good first impression. Tom and Kathy escorted me to the DON's office. Mr. Billings sat behind a big desk and Mrs. Mason sat in a chair next to me.
"So, Mrs. Love," Tom began, "tell me, where did you go to school?"
"I graduated from the University of Florida with my BSN in May. I took my boards at the end of June and just recently found out I passed."
"Well congratulation, Mrs. Love. Would this be your first job in healthcare?" Tom questioned.
I laughed a little, "Far from it, sir. I began volunteering in nursing homes when I was about 10. I got my STNA certificate at 16 and began working right after that and all throughout college."
"That's quite impressive. You must really love this line of work to have been doing it since you were 10. How old are you now, if you don't mind me asking."
"I just turned 22 this year. And yes, I truely do believe that I have found my calling working with the elderly. I love how rewarding this job can be. I also know how much heartbreak is involved when someone passes. I've been through it quite a few times though."
"So far, Laurin, it sounds like you'd be the perfect edition to the Diamond Estates staff. I'll give you a moment to finish your application and then Mrs. Mason can give you a tour of the facility. After that, I'll meet you back in my office to discuss logistics."
I stood to shake his hand with a big smile on my face, "Thank you so much, Mr. Billings. I really appreciate you taking the time to interview me." I sat to finish the few questions left on the application. I handed it to Tom and walked out of his office to meet Kathy in the hallway.
Kathy was a middle aged woman with graying brunette hair. She wore a blazer with black slacks and flats. She began to tell me the history behind her facility. I was surprised to hear that she actually lived here and that she was treated as a resident. She walked me to the front door to give me a proper tour. She began to lead me down the hallway where I would work most of the time. This hallway was called rehab road, each hallway had the name of a street. On rehab road, residents were going through a transition phase. Some were learning how to adjust to living in a nursing home others were here just to gain strength so they could return home. Admittedly, I was a little sad. These residents ranged anywhere in age from 40-100. I mainly just wanted to work with the elderly, but with a facility as great as this, I'd take what I could get.
After the tour of the hallway, the dining room, and the physical therapy suite, Kathy decided to show me the rest of the facility. There were 5 hallways all together. Each hallway had approximately 20 rooms. All hallways, except rehab road, had two residents to a room. Meaning that this facility, when full, could house 180 residents. Diamond Estates also had an Alzheimer's unit which was a lockdown unit. Mrs. Mason explained to me that I couldn't work over there until I had taken the classes first, unless it was my turn to float in the event of a call off.
After the tour, I found myself back in Tom Billings' office. As I was beginning to sit in the same chair as earlier, he stopped me and invited me to have lunch with him and the residents in the main dining hall. We got in and one of the aides rushed over to take our order. Today for lunch they were having grilled chicken with green beans and mashed potatoes. It sounded delicious.
In effort to fill the silence Mr. Billings asked "So, what did you think of the facility? Did it live up to your expectations, Miss. Love?"
"It was just a beautiful as the exterior. Mrs. Mason showed me rehab road and the other units, too. Just don't ask me where anything is," I joked, " I'll probably get lost when I go to leave!"
Tom laughed, "All the new hires say that, but once you get used to it you'll do great. I reviewed your application and I've got to say that you are one impressive hire. I'm glad we got to interview you first. Once I speak to your references, I'll give you a call and we can set up a drug test, a physical, and fingerprinting."
"Sounds wonderful, Mr. Billings!"
And then we were served. The chicken smelled so good. As I began cutting, Tom began to talk again. "I'm sure you were wondering about pay. Starting salary for a third shift nurse is $25.75. Each time you complete a class, you will get a .25¢ raise. If you were to get wrote up for something, you would get a .10¢ deduction. For every 5 years you stay here, you'll get .50¢ raise. Also, vacation days are based on hours per week you work. Someone full time starting halfway through the year will rack up about 20 hours vacation for next year. If you have any questions about that feel free to call Meghan McAllister she does all the vacation days."
"Sounds very similar to my last employer. I think I understand it all, but I'll give Meghan a call with my questions." We finished the rest of our lunch with just small talk to fill the awkward pauses. Once we were both finished, Tom walked me to the front door. "Thank you for everything, Mr. Billings. It a beautiful facility you have here. I would be honored to join your team. I look forward to hearing from you soon."
"Its been a pleasure, Laurin. Keep an ear out for that phone call!"
And with that I was on my way out to my car.