Chapter 7

Birdie and Layla were hanging out in Birdie's room when their uncle Caleb entered. Birdie simply smiled at him, her expression neutral. Caleb cleared his throat as Layla turned around from where she and Birdie had been lying upside-down on the bed, and looked at him.

"If I were to ask you both what happened on Monday, what would your answer be?" Caleb inquired, his gaze shifting between the two girls. Layla glanced at Birdie with a slightly defensive expression, as if Birdie had done something wrong. "Don't look at your cousin like that, Layla. I asked you what had happened on Monday."

"I don't know, Dad. What happened?" Layla asked, her tone innocent.

"You know exactly what happened. Layla, I asked you one thing - to make sure Birdie got to and from school safely, since she doesn't have a car. Instead, you told her she'd have to make other arrangements in the morning." Caleb's voice was stern. "And don't try to blame this on Birdie. Rylan Mitchell came to see me."

"Why did Rylan Mitchell come to see you?" Layla asked, her annoyance evident.

"Because it turns out that after Madison Evans dropped Birdie off at school on Monday, Rylan gave her a ride to his place, where they had coffee and she stayed for dinner. And to make it worse, your cousin spent the night there as well. You told me Birdie slept here because you weren't home either." Caleb's gaze hardened. "So, who's going to tell me the truth - Layla? Birdie?"

Birdie and Layla exchanged anxious glances, realizing they could no longer keep the secret, even though they hadn't expected Rylan to tell anyone.

"I had to give the Miller sisters and I.E. a ride to school, so I couldn't take Birdie. And after school, I was supposed to meet my friends at Cassie's, and she told me not to bring Birdie," Layla explained.

"And in what world is it acceptable to leave your cousin alone while you go off with your friends?" Caleb asked, his disapproval evident.

Birdie watched the tension between father and daughter escalate, knowing this was just one of many instances where Caleb had disapproved of the girls' choices and activities.

"Well, Birdie, I'm glad you were safe. Rylan is a respectable young man, but next time something like this happens, I want you to call me. It's clear transportation to and from school is an issue, and you're not in trouble." Caleb's tone softened slightly as he turned his attention to Birdie. "And you, Layla, need to learn about responsibility. I got you that car so you could drive yourself and Birdie around, especially with my busy schedule at the hospital. But since you've failed in that responsibility, the car is being taken away for a week."

Layla opened her mouth to respond, but Caleb quickly silenced her. "For the next week, both of you will be taken to school by me at an early hour, and you'll be taking the bus home. And this business about Birdie doing everything is over. From now on, chores like dishes and laundry will be on a rotation, and we'll decide on dinner together and help each other out. Understood?"

The girls agreed reluctantly.

"Layla, go get your car keys," Caleb said, and Layla went to her room to retrieve them. "You're going to have to thank Rylan for what he's done for you," Caleb called after her.

When Layla returned with the keys, Caleb continued, "On Saturday, we'll be doing something together as a family for Birdie's sixteenth birthday."

Layla looked at him skeptically. "I've got plans that were made weeks ago. I can't sacrifice my weekend for a party," she argued.

"Layla, I really need you to do this, because I have to work late that day," Caleb said. Birdie looked at him thoughtfully.

"Uncle Caleb, what if Rylan and I do something on our own in the morning, and then we can all do something together in the evening? That way, it can still be fun, and you won't have to rearrange your schedule," Birdie suggested.