Kyo Sohma

Name: Kyo Sohma
Age: 16
Family: Kazuma Sohma (Adoptive Father)
Chinese Zodiac: Cat

Past:
Kyo is cursed by the spirit of the Cat, an animal who would have been part of the Chinese Zodiac had the Rat not tricked him into missing the ceremony.

An irregular member of the Zodiac, not only is Kyo discriminated against, disrespected, and has a future of confinement, he also has a true form which is a grotesque and foul-smelling monster— which he turns into when his Juzu bead bracelet is removed.

He has blamed all of his misfortunes on his greatest enemy, the Rat, Yuki Sohma, and has dedicated his life to defeat him.

Kyo had a very isolated childhood and was rarely let out from his house by his excessively overprotective mother, since she was afraid of Kyo's true form being seen.

According to Kyo, she would always cover up her fear of his true form by displaying her motherly love, a love he did not appreciate. She would also check that his beads were intact dozens of times every day.

Due to his position as the Cat, Kyo was despised, pitied, and isolated from the other Sohmas, and served the purpose of being the scapegoat for the Zodiacs. On the days he was able to play outside at the Sohma grounds, he would always be alone.

One day, Kagura Sohma found Kyo drawing an egg with a tree branch. Kagura, who had hated herself for also being Cursed by one of the Zodiac animals, found solace in Kyo, since she had it better than him and would never suffer as much as he would.

From there on, Kagura became friends with Kyo out of pity, and Kyo, unbeknownst to Kagura's true feelings, happily accepted her friendship.

At some point, Kagura insisted that she wanted to wear Kyo's Juzu bead bracelet, and she eventually took it by force when Kyo rejected the idea. Unknown of what would happen, Kagura witnessed Kyo's true form and was horrified by it. Following this, Kyo and Kagura began avoiding one another and Kyo's mother grew increasingly protective of him.

While Kyo was resented by the Sohma family, so was his mother, and her husband emotionally and verbally abused her for giving birth to Kyo, for loving him, and for apparently ruining his life. During these moments, she would seek comfort in Kyo. Eventually, the inability to confide in anyone, the abuse she received from her husband, and the shame of having Kyo as a son and the strain of protecting him, led to Kyo's mother committing suicide by jumping in front of a moving train.

During her funeral, almost every member of the Sohma family blamed the five-year-old Kyo for his mother's death, including his father. Because of this, Kyo grew very vengeful and did not shed a single tear at his mother's funeral. He also blamed Yuki for the incident, and threatened that he would kill Yuki and then kill himself to make his father satisfied.

Kazuma Sohma, who noticed the absurdity of this treatment and remembered how the last Cat, his grandfather, was treated by the family, took Kyo in. Having the first person to ever understand his struggles made Kyo break down in tears.

Kyo received a normal education, and went to the same school as the other Zodiacs, including Momiji and Hatsuharu. However, he still hated his position as the Cat and blamed all of his misfortune on the Rat, Yuki Sohma.

During one of the Sohma's annual banquet, Yuki heard about Kyo, who isn't part of the Zodiac and therefore cannot join in the banquet. When Yuki sneaked out to meet Kyo and attempted to befriend him, Kyo harshly shouted that he hated Yuki, that his very existence had brought misfortune to him, and that he would be better off dead.