28: You're Free

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

***DWAYNE'S POV***

As I turned on the light, I was met with an empty room. Shane's belongings were gone, including the picture frame on the small table beside her bed. The room was barren, devoid of any sign of her presence.

On the bed lay a piece of paper. Even though I knew what it was, I quickly grabbed it. I wasn't wrong—it was a handwritten note from Shane.

The note was written on a pink, fragrant sheet, torn from her notepad. The words were penned in a flowing script, each letter gracefully formed, reflecting her gentle nature. As I started to read, I could almost hear the soft rustle of the paper and feel the warmth of Shane's hand, as if she were right beside me, whispering the words she had written.

"Dwayne:

I am sorry for everything. For destroying your life and your dreams just to fulfill my own. I have been selfish, trying to win your heart without considering your feelings.

I thought we were doing alright. I thought a day that you would love me the way I did was near. I thought we could get through it all and be happy together, forever.

But I realized that my aspirations were all just for me, for myself. And I haven't looked at things the way you do.

But I have enjoyed and cherished every moment that we have shared, though I don't know if during those times we're making love or just doing things for pleasure.

I love you, and I always will, but I have to stop before I lose myself from loving you too much!

Maybe it's too late for you to start your own life, but I know it's not, since you're young and handsome. So, I believe you could still find the woman you deemed worthy for your love. I actually hoped that it would be me, but I have to accept the fact that I aint.

Though it hurts, I'm now setting you free.

I hope that without me, you could find the peace and happiness you dreamed.

I love you, goodbye,

Shane Alonto."

As I reached the end of the note, I noticed that this part was crumpled and stained with tear drops. The once graceful script was now shaky and uneven, the letters bleeding into each other as if her emotions had overwhelmed her. The ink was smudged, making her name at the bottom hard to read. When I tried to reread her note, it was as if I could hear her sobs echoing in my mind, her heartbreak and despair laid bare. The pain behind the words in this note was palpable.

She's hurt, I know. But she seemed to have gathered her courage to write the most painful words I've ever read. That "I'm setting you free" part made me feel a searing pain in my chest, as if it was sliced by a sharp knife.

After reading her note, tears streamed down my face. My knees gave out, and I sank to the floor.

"Shane..." I whispered through my tears. "Shane..."

The emptiness of her room suddenly hit me with full force. Her joyful presence was the only thing that could fill this void inside me.

As I looked around, I saw how empty her room really was. The curtains and a few empty flower vases were all that remained.

She's gone. She really left me.

I cried harder, clutching her note to my chest and collapsing onto her bed. Her lingering scent intensified the ache in my heart.

But whose fault is this? It's mine! I didn't listen to her! I let my anger take over!

Damn it!

I didn't know how long I cried in her room. But once the tears had run dry, my rational mind began to take over.

I quickly pulled my phone from my pocket and tried calling her number.

"The subscriber cannot be reached. Please try again later."

The automated response echoed over and over as I dialed her number.

Unable to reach her, I called Daniela instead. Her phone rang, but she didn't answer. I called her five more times, but she still didn't pick up.

She must be angry with me too.

With no other options, I hurried out of the house. I locked the front door and the gate, got into my car, and sped toward Shane's barangay.

Her barangay was close to the city center, just a thirty-minute drive away. I drove quickly and arrived in no time.

I'd only been here once before, when we first met her family. I hadn't returned since then, so I wasn't familiar with the area.

"Excuse me, good afternoon! Can I ask for directions to Shane Alonto's house?" I asked a tricycle driver I encountered on the narrow barangay road.

"They're in Purok 3, Sir. Follow this road, turn left at the second corner, and go straight until you see a small store with 'Alonto Store' written on it. Their house is next to it, on the left," the tricycle driver explained.

"Thank you very much," I said, reaching into my pocket. I only had a 100 peso bill, so I handed it to the driver. "Kuya take it, thank you for the inconvenience."

He hesitated to accept it, but I insisted so he finally took it, smiling broadly.

I followed his directions and soon found Shane's house.

As I got out of the car, four young men approached me from the small store.

"What's your business here, boss?" their apparent leader, a skinny teenager, asked.

"Good afternoon. Is Shane Alonto's house?" I asked, smiling politely and bowing slightly out of respect.

I can't remember her house as I was not minding everything when we came here. That's how oblivious I was when it came to Shane before.

"Yeah, it is. Why?" the leader asked aggressively.

"I'm her husband. I just want to talk to her," I said, still smiling.

"Hey, Sean! Your brother-in-law is here, looking for Ate Shane!" the leader called out to a young man sitting on the porch of Shane's house.

The young man looked furious upon hearing what the other youth has said and quickly came out of their house, carrying a sickle. His face was full of anger as he glared at me.

"Why are you here? After humiliating my sister, you still have the nerve to show your face? How dare you!" Sean shouted, opening the wooden gate of their bamboo fence.

I took a step back, frightened by the sharp tool he was holding.

"Do you think I'm scared of your identity? I'll cut you down right here," Sean threatened, brandishing the sickle at me.

Cold sweat broke out on my forehead. My knees trembled, but I refused to let fear overwhelm me. I looked at Shane's house and shouted, "Shane! I'm sorry! Please talk to me! Let's fix this. Let me make up for what I've done wrong! Please give me a chance to show you that I love you! Please?"

But there was no response. Instead, I felt the cold edge of the sickle against my stomach.

"She won't talk to you. Go back to your mansion! We may be poor, but we don't grovel to heartless people!" Sean spat angrily.

"Sean! That's enough. Put down the sickle!" an older man who seemed to be Shane's father, commanded. "And you, Estrio, go home. My daughter won't talk to you. You've humiliated and hurt her enough," he said firmly.

I had no choice but to retreat, wiping the tears from my eyes.

####

Ahh. 🥺🥺