Forge of Love

(hey sillies i know ive been gone for like forever but take this grumbo fic idea i got from a discord server and my twitter oomfs encouraged me to make this sooo here you go! Word count is 1041)

Grian let out a breath of relief when he saw the familiar sight of the blacksmithing forge come into sight, quickly redirecting his horse towards the building. Not many people were around this late in the evening, the streets of the village practically empty, but Grian could see the light from inside- He knew who was in that building, and he wanted to see them as soon as possible.

Hopping off his horse and quickly grabbing the reins, he tied them to a post out front like he always did, the horse just laying down comfortably on the dirt ground. With a quick check to make sure the reins were tight enough, Grian rushed over to the door, knocking on it with three quick taps before opening it himself, not waiting for an answer.

Unsurprisingly, the blonde spotted Mumbo there, currently fiddling around with some iron nails or whatever. Grian’s face lit up at the sight, not even waiting long enough to hang up his cloak before rushing forward and tackling his boyfriend into a hug. A tight hug at that.

“MUMBO!!”

He yelled excitedly, bursting out into laughter at the ravenettes startled reaction and the way he stumbled a bit before wrapping his arms around Grian’s waist. Mambo blinked a bit, processing the sudden appearance of his lover, as Grian wasn’t supposed to be back for another two days- Yet here he was! In Mumbo’s arms, laughing about how surprised he looked. A familiar feeling of warmth formed in the blacksmith's chest.

“Grian!- You’re back! You weren’t meant to be back for two days- Why are you back so early??”

The ravenette questioned with a laugh, his expression softening completely into pure love. Void, he loved seeing Grian this happy.. Especially when he was laughing. It was one of Mumbo’s favourite things ever, besides Grian himself of course.

“To surprise you, obviously! Why else?”

Grian replied in an affectionately sassy tone, unable to help himself from standing on his tiptoes for a minute and pressing a light kiss to Mumbo’s cheek.

“I got bored of adventuring and missed you, so I came back! Plus… I kinda needed my sword fixed anyway, so win-win! I get my sword fixed, and you get your boyfriend!”

Mumbo rolled his eyes, scoffing quietly. Grian always had him fixing his things, from armour to weapons to anything the blonde could think of- It was a bonus of having a blacksmith for a lover, as Gri put it, but Mumbo knew it was just him not wanting to learn to do it himself and having Mumbo do it instead. Either way, he was happy to fix anything the adventurer needed, even if he complained a little.

“Again? Really? Didn’t I just fix that sword last time you went away?”

“Well.. Yes- But this group of bandits confronted me and I had to use it! I brought you stuff to make up for it though!”

With a prideful look, Grian took a step back and rifled around in one of the pouches on his belt for a moment, then pulled out a raw, unpolished and uncut gemstone. Mumbo recognised it as some sort of ruby based off the colour. It was gorgeous, still having a little dust on it but otherwise being in pretty good condition.

“Where in the world did you get this???”

Grian’s prideful look got a bit more cocky, the grin on his lips growing wider by the second. But before he could respond, Mumbo had already put the pieces together.

“Wait- You didn’t steal it, right?”

That caused Grian to go silent. Mumbo raised an eyebrow.

“Right, Grian?”

A few seconds of silence followed, before it was interrupted by the blacksmith’s sigh. He had been expecting this from the moment he saw the gem. Grian stole this from who knows what kind of person, and was now giving it to Mumbo as a gift. Classic.

“Grian… You can’t keep stealing expensive items and then gifting them to me!”

Grian let out a grumble, then a huff, looking a bit pouty. Like a child, almost- But much cuter in Mumbo’s eyes.

“But it matches your eye colour! I had to get it! It fit you so well!!”

He argued, and knowing that Grian got it because it matched Mumbo’s eye colour softened the ravenette’s disappointment. He sighed again, turning back to his table with the iron nails on it and carefully setting the gemstone down on some cloth he had lying around before his attention redirected to Grian.

“I understand that, Gri, but you can’t just steal things, especially very expensive things, just because they make you think of me- I appreciate it, but I also don’t want to get thrown in a dungeon if someone ever found all the stuff you’ve stolen for me, get it hun?”

Grian rolled his eyes and looked up at Mumbo like a child who’d just gotten in trouble, before thinking for a moment.

“...You like it though, right?”

Mumbo couldn’t help but snicker.

“Of course I like it, I like anything you give me, stolen or not,”

That made Grian’s face light up, the smile back on his lips at the confirmation that Mumbo enjoyed his gift. The blonde took a few steps forward, the light coming from both the forge and the lanterns around filling the place with warmth as he placed both his hands on Mumbo’s cheeks.

“If you liked it, then I deserve a kiss, right?”

He said, more as a request than a question. Mumbo’s face heated up at the close contact like it always did (with how much of a spoon he was) as his arms wrapped nicely around the smaller man's waist, pulling Grian closer. They were both looking at each other with so much love it was like something straight out of a romance novel. 

“Of course, honey..”

Mumbo replied with a loving chuckle, leaning down and planting a gentle kiss on Grian’s lips. The adventurer wasted no time in pulling Mumbo down more, his arms now around the blacksmith's neck, and a cheeky smile on his face. It was a soft, loving kiss, nothing too serious, but just a way to remind each other how in love they were.