Chapter Five

"YOU SAW HIM?"

"Keep your voice down," Grady whispered nervously, glancing around the room, even though Dex and Ro had long abandoned it—giving them the privacy they clearly needed.

Sophie's glare could've burned a hole through him. "And you didn't think to tell me before I asked you?"

"Keefe wouldn't have wanted that."

A bitter laugh slipped through Sophie's lips. "What he wants isn't always what he needs."

"I know. But this time-"

"Keefe never knows what he's doing, and if you think this time is any different, you're delusional," Sophie bantered on, not caring how rude she was being. "This is Keefe's life. You can't just play favorites!"

"I'm not!" Grady told her. "Really, I'm not," he added when Sophie scoffed. "In fact, if you truly care about Keefe, shouldn't you be respecting his wishes right now?"

Sophie wasn't sure what to do with the emphasis on care—but she let it go. "No, I should care about what happens to him abandoned and alone!"

She honestly didn't understand why she was so mad.

She understood why Keefe wanted to stay away at the moment—but she was just angry.

It honestly wan't fair that she could feel that much at once.

She fell back a step. "Fine—but answer one question for me. Did Keefe tell you anything important before he left?"

Grady stayed silent.

"I'm taking that as a 'yes, but I'm not telling you,'" Sophie told him.

"Maybe," Grady agreed. "But I promised him—and I really want to keep that promise."

"Oh sure," Sophie mumbled. "Leave me in the dark for your own convenience."

"That isn't what I'm doing. At least try to understand."

Sophie released a breath. "Fine. But only because I'm doing this my own way now."

Grady closed his eyes, as if bracing for impact. "If what you did earlier today was your own way, I haven't exactly got high hopes."

Sophie groaned. "Why is everyone so freaked out about that?"

"Kiddo, I know you didn't mean—"

"What if I did?"

"You didn't. And that's my point. You were trying to help, but..."

He left the sentence hanging,  probably because he thought Sophie wouldn't counter him. 

But she was done being that girl. Done being the old Sophie who would comply with everyone just for the sake of not getting into trouble.

"No one wins wars by being perfect. You know that, don't you? No one ever wins perfectly—because you need to treat the opponent the way they treat you. Not even the precious Councillors can achieve anything perfectly."

"That doesn't mean we can't try."

Sophie rolled her eyes. "Oh great, we're back to that argument. Can't anyone see that this is me trying?"

Well...not including him. He didn't count at the moment.

Because he'd decided to leave.

"We do understand. But it's becoming harder by the second," Grady informed her.

"Because you don't trust me! Or my decisions!"

Grady's lips pressed together—a sign that she'd pushed too far. 

She let out a breath. "Well, I don't even know how we got on this topic, but I'll be...doing something productive instead of watching other people and complaining."

She turned and was gone with a swish of her hair before he could reply.

A/N: I love Grady, and I swear he's gonna get better!

Also—who spotted the Taylor Swift reference??