Hope

The week before the competition was a whirlwind of emotions. Every free moment I had was spent in the art room, working tirelessly to recreate my painting. I was determined not to let Gyuvin's sabotage win. Zhang Hao and Matthew often joined me, offering support and encouragement. Their presence was a comfort, reminding me that I wasn't alone in this fight.

One afternoon, as I was putting the finishing touches on my new piece, Zhang Hao walked in, carrying two cups of coffee from Hanbin's café. He handed one to me with a smile. "Thought you could use a break."

I accepted the coffee gratefully, taking a sip and feeling the warmth spread through me. "Thanks, Hao. I really needed this."

"How's it coming along?" he asked, nodding toward my painting.

I stepped back, looking at my work critically. "Almost done. I think it's even better than the original."

He examined the painting, nodding in approval. "It's amazing, Ricky. You're going to blow everyone away."

I felt a surge of pride at his words, but also a twinge of anxiety. The competition was just days away, and the pressure was mounting. I couldn't afford any more setbacks.

Just as we were finishing our coffee, the door to the art room swung open, and Gyuvin walked in. My heart sank. What does he want now?

"Hey, rich kid," he said, his tone casual, as if we were old friends.

I glared at him, my anger barely contained. "What do you want, Gyuvin?"

He shrugged, sauntering over to us. "Just checking out the competition. Heard you're entering the art contest."

"Yeah, and?" I replied, not bothering to hide my irritation.

Gyuvin's eyes scanned my painting, and for a moment, I thought I saw a flicker of admiration in his gaze. But it was quickly replaced by his usual smirk. "Not bad. For a rich kid."

I clenched my fists, fighting the urge to punch him. "Why are you here, Gyuvin? To ruin my painting again?"

He raised an eyebrow, feigning innocence. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Zhang Hao stepped forward, his expression hard. "Leave, Gyuvin. You're not welcome here."

Gyuvin held up his hands in mock surrender. "Alright, alright. I'm going." He turned to leave but paused at the door. "Good luck, rich kid. You're going to need it."

As he walked out, I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. Zhang Hao placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Don't let him get to you, Ricky. He's just trying to mess with your head."

"I know," I said, feeling the weight of the situation settle on my shoulders. "But it's hard."

"You're stronger than you think," Zhang Hao said, giving my shoulder a squeeze. "You've got this."

I nodded, taking a deep breath. "Thanks, Hao."

***

The day of the competition arrived, and my nerves were at an all-time high. I carefully transported my painting to the auditorium, where the event was being held. The room was filled with students, parents, and teachers, all milling about and admiring the artwork on display.

I found my assigned spot and set up my painting, making sure everything was perfect. Matthew and Zhang Hao were there, offering words of encouragement. Even Hanbin and Zhang Hao's boyfriend, Sung Hanbin, had come to support me. Their presence was a comfort, grounding me amidst the chaos.

As I stood back, admiring my work, Gyuvin appeared beside me. "Nice piece," he said, his tone surprisingly genuine.

"Thanks," I replied warily, unsure of his intentions.

He glanced around the room, then back at me. "Look, I know we've had our differences, but... good luck. Seriously."

I stared at him, taken aback by his sudden shift in attitude. "Uh, thanks. You too."

Gyuvin nodded, then walked away, leaving me more confused than ever. What was his deal? I didn't have time to dwell on it, though. The competition was starting, and I needed to focus.

As the judges made their rounds, examining each piece and taking notes, I felt a mix of anxiety and excitement. When they finally reached my painting, I held my breath, watching their reactions closely. They murmured to each other, nodding and smiling, and I felt a glimmer of hope.

After what felt like an eternity, the head judge stepped up to the microphone. "Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your patience. We have reviewed all the entries, and the talent on display is truly remarkable. It was a difficult decision, but we have chosen our winners."

My heart pounded in my chest as the judge announced the third and second place winners. Then, finally, he reached the first place.

"And the first place winner of this year's art competition is... Shim Ricky!"

A wave of relief and joy washed over me as the crowd erupted into applause. I stepped forward to accept my prize, my hands shaking with excitement. This was it. I had done it.

As I returned to my spot, my friends surrounded me, offering congratulations and hugs. Even Gyuvin gave me a nod of acknowledgment, which, coming from him, felt like a major victory.

***

That evening, we celebrated at Hanbin's café. The mood was light and joyful, a welcome change from the tension of the past few weeks. As we sat around a table, laughing and talking, I felt a sense of belonging that I hadn't felt in a long time.

Matthew clinked his glass against mine. "Here's to you, Ricky. You earned it."

"Thanks, Matt," I said, smiling. "I couldn't have done it without you guys."

Zhang Hao raised his glass. "To Ricky. The best artist in school."

Everyone joined in the toast, and for the first time in weeks, I felt truly happy. Maybe things were starting to look up. Maybe this was the beginning of a new chapter.

But as I looked around the table, my eyes landed on Gyuvin, who was sitting a few tables away with his friends. Our eyes met, and for a brief moment, there was a look of something that resembled respect in his gaze.

Maybe things were changing. Maybe, just maybe, there was hope for something other than rivalry between us. Only time would tell.