Chapter one

Ashpaw dragged herself across the ground next to Foxpaw, her body aching with every step. She had always known her life wouldn't be easy, but she never imagined she'd be following a group of cats into the unknown. She never thought she'd be a rogue.

Her thoughts spiralled as the weight of their situation pressed down on her. What if we die out here? Will I ever see the clan again? The memories of her past flooded her mind. She wished she was a kit again, huddled beside her littermates while her mother cleaned her fur. Everything had seemed so simple then.

Ashpaw glanced at Foxpaw, his determined expression contrasting sharply with her own doubts. The thought of Thunderclan brought a pang of sorrow. She should've stayed. The safety of the clan, the warmth of her family... it all felt like a distant memory now.

"Foxpaw," she whispered, her voice wobbly. "Do you want to go back to Thunderclan?"

Foxpaw's ears flicked, but he didn't meet her gaze. "We can't go back, Ashpaw. Not now. We have to keep moving forward."

His words, though bold, held a truth she couldn't refute. They had made their choice, and there was no turning back. Ashpaw took a deep breath, trying to brace herself for the journey ahead. She needed to focus on the task at hand, no matter how challenging it seemed.

As they continued to trek along the open field, Ashpaw's mind returned to Weaslefoot's urgent message. She had to find Damien and visit the tribe. Weaslefoot had told her how important it was that Nightfoot met them...

Spotting Nightfoot up ahead, Ashpaw quickened her pace despite her exhaustion. "Nightfoot," she called out softly, hoping not to startle him.

Nightfoot turned to face her, his eyes glittering with water that couldn't escape. "What is it, Ashpaw?"

Taking a deep breath, Ashpaw gathered her courage. "Weaslefoot said we have to find the tribe... and some cat named Damien."

Nightfoot's expression shifted from curiosity to concern. "Damien? Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"I didn't want to worry anyone," Ashpaw admitted. "But we can't do this alone. We need their help."

Nightfoot nodded slowly, his gaze thoughtful. "Your right... we can't do this alone, any help is good help"

Ashpaw felt a flicker of hope. With Nightfoot's support, maybe they could make it through this after all.

Nightfoot led the group across Thunderclan territory towards the nearby Twoleg nest. Every step they took led them into an unknown and exciting adventure—an adventure Ashpaw didn't feel ready for. What would happen if they failed? If the clans fell?

"Argh! Where's this 'Damien' guy at?" Gingerpaw trotted up beside Ashpaw and Foxpaw, her tail attacking the soft ground with unease.

"Uh... hopefully close by," Nightfoot replied, scanning their surroundings for any sign of the mysterious cat.

"You won't find him here today." A disembodied voice called out from nearby. "The feline of small size is homeward bound."

"Who... who's there?" Whitepelt padded up beside Nightfoot, his fur bristling with unease.

"I am here."

Nightfoot let out a loud yowl as a large creature shuffled under the Twoleg fence. Its sharp, watery teeth glinted in the harsh sunlight—a dog!

"Do not fear, for I will not harm those who are here." The dog's calm voice spoke in full sentences—something unheard of.

"What... what's going on? Why is the dog talking to us?" Foxpaw's tough demeanor faltered as he crouched behind Ashpaw, his tail held stiffly upright.

"Be careful, Debbie. These cats don't speak with dogs like the tribe does... they're like Fernpaw." A fluffy, unusually clean cat padded up beside the dog, her fur a lovely golden brown adorned with heart-shaped spots. "Hello, clan cats! I am Belle 2nd, or Bells for short."

"Uh... did you say Fernpaw?" Nightfoot's voice trembled.

"Yes! He's such a wonderful cat! You know him, do you not?" Belle tilted her head, her friendly demeanor overshadowed by the shock of the talking dog.

"I guess... yeah." Nightfoot shifted uncomfortably, turning to the other cats before returning his gaze to Belle.

"You said you were looking for Damien? Well, you won't find him here," Belle paused, "but I know where he hunts! I could take you there!"

"Really?" Nightfoot's spirits lifted, his tail held high.

"Bells must wait here; her sheep hoarder with fur of black will be a visitor soon." The dog blinked slowly, licking her lips in anticipation.

"Oh, don't say that! You're acting like he's my mate!" Belle's tail wagged, her voice filled with glee and affection.

"A black cat? Fernpaw? Family drama? Me shutting up? Okay." Nightfoot's ears twitched with curiosity. Someone was clearly getting too involved.

"I will lead the cats to the land of flowers; they will meet the lion-tiger cat." Debbie's tail wagged calmly.

"Uhhhh..." Nightfoot froze, his voice growing shrill again, much to the irritation of the others.

"Yeah, okay." Whitepelt pushed past Nightfoot and bowed politely, keeping calm in the face of uncertainty.

"Yep! Let's follow the dog!" Foxpaw muttered sarcastically.

Ashpaw observed Debbie closely. Nothing about her demeanor screamed "I eat cats" or "I love murder." She seemed genuine, genuinely wanting to help them.

"You can ride on my back, comfortable and safe for the journey." Debbie sat down, nodding. "Hop on, and let's go."