Chapter XXVII: Touch of Death

The moment Medea collapsed to the floor, motionless and silent, Rezef rose from his chair with a calculated calmness. He approached her with slow, deliberate steps and then bent his knees, leaning down to touch her forehead lightly, studying her face. Seeing her eyes dilated and unresponsive, he straightened up, a satisfied smirk spreading across his lips.

"The poison is taking effect. Can you still hear me, Medea?" he began, his voice dripping with mock concern. "If you don't know, I put poison in your food. In fact, the deadliest one. With a blend of belladonna and datura, I'm certain you won't be able to withstand it, no matter how immune you think you are to poisons. Don't blame me for doing this. I'm just giving you a taste of your own medicine, to make you stop being a hindrance to my plans," he declared, a satisfied smirk on his lips.

Medea, struggling to remain conscious, listened to his words before a grin slowly spread across her face. Summoning the last of her strength, she grabbed his ankle, her grip weak but defiant, and forced herself to speak. 

"I suggest you don't fly too close to the sun. It could lead you to your own downfall," she trailed off, her voice growing fainter as her grip loosened and her eyes narrowed.

I'm losing consciousness... she thought, the room spinning wildly around her. I've tried to prevent the poison from spreading through my nerves with my powers, but the pain is excruciating. Her body slumped fully to the floor, her eyes fluttering closed. My heart feels like it's burning, she reflected. 

It was the first sensation she experienced that rivaled the wounds she had suffered upon transmigrating into this body. This pain was the worst. Do humans also feel like this? This thought lingered before darkness overtook her completely.

Rezef watched her words sink in, a flicker of unease crossing his mind. He clenched his fists, a flash of anger evident in his eyes. Turning to the servants present, he issued a stern command. "Nothing about what transpired tonight will leave this room. Do you understand?" His tone was icy and authoritative, making the servants flinch and bow their heads in submission.

"Yes, Your Highness," they chorused, their voices trembling.

Rezef took a deep breath, casting one last glance at Medea's prone form. "I expect your cooperation. Now, clean up this mess and ensure it never resurfaces," he ordered before wiping his hands and exiting the room.

The knights and servants nodded dutifully, swiftly moving to follow his commands. Within moments, four of Rezef's knights had tied Medea's body with ropes and placed her inside a carriage. Two knights took positions as the carriage's henchmen, while the other two followed on horseback.

The night was dark and eerie, with a foreboding atmosphere accentuated by the sound of rain beginning to fall from the cloudy sky. "Where are we supposed to dispose of her body? It's dark, and now it's raining," one knight asked, his voice tinged with worry.

"We'll find a cliff or some other secluded place. Let's just get it done and get back safely," another knight responded.

Suddenly, a scream and the frantic howl of a horse pierced the night from behind. The group halted the carriage, exchanging uneasy glances. "What was that?" one knight asked, anxiety creeping into his voice.

"I'll check it out," another knight volunteered, dismounting his horse and walking toward the source of the sound. His heart pounded as he discovered two lifeless, bloodied bodies on the muddy road. One knight had been pierced through the heart with a sword, while the other lay with a simple but fatal stab wound.

"No way...!" the knight gasped, horror washing over him. Instinctively, he rushed back to the carriage, his body trembling. Throwing open the door, he was met with emptiness. Medea was gone, and the realization sent a chill through him, freezing his blood.