Chapter 26

***

  As the evening banquet continued, Princess Cecelia found herself in a quiet corner of the grand hall with her uncle, Lord Carson. They stood near a tall window, the view of the moonlit gardens providing a serene backdrop to their conversation.

  "So, how are you finding your new attendant?" Carson asked, a hint of curiosity in his voice. "Liam, isn't it?"

  Cecelia nodded, a proud smile playing on her lips. "Yes, Liam. He's proven to be quite capable and loyal. He's already shown great potential, and I believe he will serve the kingdom well."

  "And Anos?" Carson inquired, his eyes twinkling with interest. "I hear he's quite the swordsman."

  "Indeed." Cecelia replied, her voice warm with admiration. "Anos is incredibly skilled, and his dedication is unwavering. He's been a valuable addition to our ranks, and his presence has brought a new level of excellence to our training grounds."

  Carson's expression softened, a rare look of contentment crossing his features. "I'm glad to hear that, Cel. It's reassuring to know you have such capable individuals by your side."

  Their conversation was interrupted by the approach of Cecelia's father, His imposing figure cast a long shadow over them as he joined the discussion. His cold, calculating eyes glanced between his daughter and her uncle.

  "What are you two discussing so intently?" Samuel asked, his voice as sharp as a blade.

  Cecelia straightened, meeting her father's gaze with a calm determination. "We were discussing the new additions to our ranks, Father. Liam, my new attendant, and Anos, our skilled swordsman."

  Samuel raised an eyebrow, his interest piqued. "I see. And how do you find them?"

  "They are both exceptional." Cecelia replied confidently. "Liam has shown great promise and loyalty, and Anos's skills have been invaluable to our training regimen."

  Samuel nodded slowly, his gaze shifting to Carson. "And what were you discussing when you greeted Prince Claude earlier?"

  Cecelia felt a slight tension in the air but maintained her composure. "We discussed the security measures for the village and the kingdom. It was a productive conversation, and we have plans to implement stronger defenses to prevent any future attacks." She said, although none of it is actually true. She turned her gaze towards Claude. Her eyes, piercing through his soul making him gulp in fear.

  "Y-yes.. that is exactly what me and her highness talked about."

  Samuel's expression remained unreadable, his eyes cold and calculating as he processed her words. "Good. It is imperative that we remain vigilant and prepared for any threat."

  Cecelia nodded in agreement, sensing the underlying weight of his words. Her father's approval, though rare and often veiled, was a crucial aspect of maintaining stability within the kingdom.

  As the conversation continued, Cecelia couldn't help but think of Yuri, who was likely still wandering the castle grounds with Liam and a pang of worry tugged at her heart.

  She pushed the thought aside, refocusing on the discussion at hand. The banquet was a time for diplomacy and strategy, and she needed to ensure that every detail was attended to.

  As the banquet continued, King Samuel subtly observed his daughter’s slight change in demeanor. A sly idea formed in his mind, and he decided to take the opportunity to tease her, his cold facade masking his true intentions.