Chapter 2:

"BOO!" 

     Aspen screamed, whirling around. Her cloak got caught on her horns, and the dark fabric covered her face. "Ack!"

     Talons removed the fabric, revealing a pale SandWing. She giggled, her barbed tail twitching. 

     "Cashmere!" Aspen scolded, padding out of the doorway of their treehouse and into their living room. "You know I hate being scared!"

     Cashmere shrugged as Aspen studied her friend. The SandWing had white scales with a rosy tint, and somehow she hadn't been arrested. Apparently a condition called "albino" was popping up around, which saved her from being charged with the price of being a hybrid.

     "Did the guards give you a hard time?" Cashmere asked as Aspen flopped down onto the sofa. It's fabric was worn, and there were a couple holes in some spots, but it was better than the floor.

     "Yeah," Aspen admitted. "But I was able to buy us some honey drops!"

     The empty honey drop box sat on their small wooden table as Aspen and Cashmere exchanged gossip about politics.

     "Word on the street is that old Maple was fired," Aspen said in a hushed voice.

     Cashmere's eyes widened. "Why?

     Aspen's tone grew sad. "Someone accused her of sheltering hybrids, so she got kicked out of the position of mayor." She lashed her tail. "This is so unfair! Just because our parents made a stupid mistake, hybrids have to hide!"

     Cashmere sighed. "All we can do is try to survive."