Prelude

My mother loved the spotlight.
Or whether she loved the idea of the spotlight.
She would lean in close and touch her forehead to mine,and whisper,

"You're it, babe. You're the best thing I've ever done. And pretty soon, the whole world will know."

When I was around 5 or 6 years, we would put together small productions that she would record and show my father later in the evening. I was allowed to go through her closet on those days and choose my 'costume'. I would run my hand over the soft fabrics, the wild patterns, and ever so often sequined top, and ultimately decide on the one that smelled like her the most.
Eucalyptus with a hint of vanilla.
After I was dressed, she'd lead me to her makeup nightstand, and let me choose my look.
Sometimes she felt inspired, and dressed me and picked the makeup herself.
Other times she would chastise herself on a hem being untucked, a lack of an accessory here, bad shoe there, and it would be 30 minutes where I could watch tv while my mom did some sketches.

I almost always chose my makeup with my eyes closed.
Running my hands over the endless tubes of lipstick, eyeshadow palettes, and foundation. I like the idea of giving Mom a challenge, of wanting to believe her silly notion that I was beautiful, all the time, in everything.
Mom always rose to the occasion. No matter if the makeup clashed with the outfit I chose, or even if it was slightly more makeup then she'd intended for me to wear—In the end, she'd  always managed to make me look and feel—at least I thought, glamorous.
You learn to like all the colors.
You learn how to wear anything with everything and make it look effortless.
You learn to not shy away from the attention when you're doing something out of the ordinary, wearing something the tabloids have yet to gain an understanding on, instead you blossom in the spotlight.
The attention brings out the best in you.
And if you aren't careful; amongst the glitz, glam, expensive sponsored dinners, and private jets to Non disclosed locations—
It'll bring out the worst in you too.