Carnival

I closed my eyes, imagining how Gordon might have reacted if Kiawentiio hadn’t interrupted us. Would he have said something back? Would it have changed anything between us? My thoughts were interrupted by a text notification.

It was from Gordon.

"Hey, had a great time today. Thanks again for everything!"

My heart skipped a beat. Maybe there was still a chance to say what I needed to. I quickly typed back, "Absolutely! We should do it again sometime soon."

A couple of days later, Gordon called me. "Hey, Y/N! There's a carnival in town this Saturday. They've got rides, games, and everything. Want to go check it out with me?"

"A carnival? That sounds so fun! I'm in," I replied, feeling a rush of excitement.

Saturday morning, I suddenly remembered that I had a hair appointment that I had booked weeks in advance and couldn’t miss. I quickly got dressed and rushed out the door, hoping I wouldn’t be too late.

The salon was busy, and my stylist, Maria, was running a bit behind schedule. I settled into the chair, trying to relax, but I kept glancing at the clock. The appointment was taking longer than expected, and every time my phone buzzed, I saw notifications from Gordon. He called five times, but with my hands full of hair dye and foil, I couldn't answer.

“Everything okay?” Maria asked, noticing my anxiousness.

“Yeah, just running late for something after this,” I replied, giving her a reassuring smile.

Finally, the appointment was over. My hair looked great, but I was already late. I quickly paid, left a generous tip, and dashed out of the salon. As soon as I was outside, I called Gordon back, but it went to voicemail.

"Hey, Gordon, sorry I'm late! My appointment ran long, and I couldn't pick up your calls. I'm on my way now. Are you still there?"

When I arrived at the carnival, slightly out of breath, I spotted Gordon, Lizzy, and Dallas near the entrance. Gordon's face lit up when he saw me, and he walked over.

"Hey, Y/N! I was getting worried," he said, a mix of relief and concern in his voice.

"I'm so sorry, Gordon. I had a hair appointment that took longer than I expected. I saw your calls, but I couldn’t answer," I explained, feeling guilty.

I turned to Lizzy and Dallas, who were chilling at the entrance as Gordon and I walked up.

"Gordon invited us. Hope that's okay," Lizzy said, winking at me.

"Of course! The more, the merrier," I replied, smiling.

The carnival was buzzing with bright lights, laughter echoing all around, and the yummy smell of carnival grub filling the air.

"Where to first?" Gordon asked, his eyes sparkling with excitement.

"Let's hit the rides!" I said, pointing towards the Ferris wheel.

We started with the Ferris wheel. As we reached the top, the view was breathtaking. Gordon and I were in one gondola, while Lizzy and Dallas were in another. The evening sky was painted in hues of orange and pink, making the moment even more magical. The gondola swayed really fast, and I found myself gripping Gordon's arm.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to—" I started to say, but he just smiled nervously.

"No worries," Gordon replied, his voice a bit higher than usual. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat, glancing around at the view as if trying to distract himself.

"I just... heights make me nervous."

"Yeah, me too," Gordon chuckled awkwardly, his cheeks starting to flush slightly. He cleared his throat, trying to regain composure. "Um, it's really beautiful up here, huh?"