I.

I sat alone in my cold, sterile office, surrounded by the stark whiteness of government-issued furniture and the relentless ticking of a wall clock nearby. My slender fingers drummed impatiently on the desktop, creating a soft, percussive rhythm that echoed the turmoil of my thoughts. The fluorescent lights above cast harsh shadows on my face, accentuating the sharp planes and angles of my features. Despite my exhaustion, I couldn't shake the gnawing sense of unease that lingered in the pit of my stomach. My latest project wasn't progressing at the speed initially calculated. I was missing one ingredient to make this cure work, but even God had a twisted sense of humor for keeping the answer just out of my reach.

Please, God, help me.

I glanced at the door, half-expecting someone to barge in with yet another task to complete, another deadline to meet. The US government never rested, and neither did I. Business for Father had begun to pick up again after Japan's Alliance with the US reinstated. This allowed Japan to go back to having an active military presence again. The last time Japan had an active military was before the Nuclear Bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. As long as we fought for the US, that is. That was two years ago in the middle of COVID lockdown; after my experiment was stolen and handed over to a certain someone who turned it into a bioweapon for experimentation on the masses.

It was my fault.

I believed my younger sister genuinely wanted to get closer to me. If I hadn't let her into my office, she wouldn't have seen my latest research papers. She took them to her mother. That vile woman sold those documents to the US government for a high price. Guilt weighed heavily on me as I watched yet another invention, meant to cure, bring death instead.

I couldn't help it.

I had been working in my father's pharmaceutical company since I was a young girl. For as long as I could remember, my life had been dedicated to this place. But unlike the other workers in the company, I had no choice in the matter. I am an illegitimate child, the result of a secret affair between Father and his Ethiopian mistress, whose name had long been erased from the family's mouths. I have no memory of my mother.

I've always been here.

I let out a silent sigh as the sound of footsteps in the hallway outside my office caught my attention. Could it be Father, come to berate me yet again for not working hard enough? Or perhaps it was the company's board members, who saw me as nothing more than a liability that needed to be suppressed. Regardless of who it was, I couldn't afford to let them see me looking anything but composed and focused on my work. With a deep breath, I straightened up in my seat and plastered a neutral expression on my face.

The door creaked open, revealing my father's imposing figure standing in the doorway. His sharp eyes scanned the room before settling on me, his mouth twisting into a disapproving frown.

"Lysandra," he said, his voice cold and authoritative. "I need to speak with you."

I suppressed the surge of annoyance that rose within me and gestured for him to come in. "Of course," I replied, keeping my tone respectful. "What is it that you need to discuss?"

Father crossed the room to stand in front of my desk, towering over me. His hands crossed over his chest. He's upset alright. "I've been hearing some troubling rumors about you," he said, his gaze unwavering.

I felt a chill run down my spine at his words. Rumors? What kind of rumors could they possibly be spreading about me? I thought to myself. I forced myself to remain calm. "What kind of rumors?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady.

Father's expression grew even more serious. He leaned forward, uncrossing his arms from his chest and placing them behind his back. "There are whispers of you delving into areas of research that are not approved by the company. Secret projects that you refuse to share information about. Is there any truth to these rumors?"