iii. down to two

CHAPTER THREE
DOWN TO TWO

THE OLD ENCHANTED FOREST

          DENAHI HAD BEEN HURT BEFORE. She once busted her wrist from learning how to use a spear, cut multiple times in learning new tricks with her dagger, and screwed up her foot once by running into a small, deep pothole in the dirt accidentally.

But at least, she had someone there for her. She had someone to scold her, patch her up, and laugh with her on it.

That was Sitka, Sitka was always there for her bumps and bruises.

And now, he wasn't.
Her leg was dressed and treated by the Donoma healers, wrapped tightly in cloth, from her bear scratch. He wasn't there to help her, talk to her, yell at her, or even laugh at her.

She would kill to hear Sitka's laugh right now.

Her eyes drew tears in silence, as the healers gave their condolences. It seemed so strange to hear it, it was almost as if hearing it for another person. It didn't seem real to her.

Kenai didn't enter the tent, not once and Denahi honestly thought it was for the better. She could only assume he was crying in the woods alone, away from everyone who would remind him that Sitka was dead.

As she laid in the bed, her head peeked when she saw someone come into her space. Tanana had a sad smile on her face, when looking to her. Denahi wasn't confused at all, Tanana always visits those who've lost.

"Did it hurt?" She asked.

Denahi looked at her leg; it all seemed like a blur right now. "I mean, I guess. In the moment, I only felt it for a second and it went numb until it touched the ice."

"You and Kenai are brave," She says, "And I am sorry about Sitka."

The girl tried to ignore the tightness in her chest. She blatantly didn't know how to respond: 'Thank you, I still feel terrible', 'I'm sorry I let him die', 'Please don't remind me that he's gone', or 'I'm sorry that my idiotic brother had to screw up massively in order to actually suffer consequences'.

"There will be a ceremony for him tonight," Tanana says, "I want you and Kenai there for him."

"Yeah," She nods, "We'll be there."

The older woman knew that Denahi needed to grieve. She didn't need anyone to waste their time talking to her about things that they had never been through — losing a sibling.