1. 𝗜 𝗺𝗶𝘀𝘀 𝘆𝗼𝘂, 𝗜'𝗺 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆

CHAPTER 1:
I MISS YOU, I'M SORRY !

"Everything I know brings me back to us"

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

(4 years ago)

            Loud music echoed inside the house, reaching Nika and Danielle in the corner of Claire's dimly lit backyard. They came out here for a moment of solitude—Nika knew that Danielle needed it; she was aware of Danielle's tendency to feel overwhelmed by the chaos of parties.

"So, America, huh?" Nika remarked, sounding as casual as possible to mask the heartbreak she was truly feeling.

Danielle gave the girl a half-smile. "Yeah, it's all happening so fast. I leave in 2 months."

Nika's heart sank at the reminder. The thought of a future without Danielle was incomprehensible. She wasn't just losing Danielle; Nika was losing a part of herself with her. They have been best friends since they were 6 and have gone through everything together. They were supposed to graduate together, but now that was a far-fetched dream.

"I'm going to miss you," Nika murmured softly, her voice raw with vulnerability as she locked eyes with Danielle.

Danielle's expression softened, and a flicker of sadness crossed her face. She leaned in, draping an arm around Nika's waist, and her head rested on the taller girl's shoulder. Nika reciprocated by resting her head on Danielle's, finding comfort in their closeness. Danielle shifted her head slightly and pressed a gentle kiss against Nika's shoulder.

"I'm going to miss you too, Niks," Danielle whispered.

They sat there in a comfortable silence. Nika battled with her inner thoughts, debating whether to voice what was on her mind. She hesitantly opened her mouth, finally mustering the courage to speak, but their moment was interrupted by a loud voice. The girls unintentionally flinched away from each other.

"I've been looking for you guys everywhere! We're playing truth or dare; come join us!" Claire said, slurring her words, before giggling aimlessly and wandering back inside her house.

Danielle shot Nika an apologetic look and said, "Let's make the most of the time we have left. I don't want to spend the next two months being sad."

"Are you sure you want to go back in there?" Nika asked with concern.

Danielle chuckled softly at how much Nika cared. "I'm okay, Nika, really. I want to play truth or dare." Danielle assured her, gently taking Nika's hand.

Danielle pulled Nika inside. The smell of alcohol and sweat became stronger as they followed Claire to her living room. The party seemed to die down; the two girls figured that Claire kicked almost everyone out.

Danielle got swept away by her friend, Julie, leaving Nika leaning against the wall. She watched Danielle with admiration, noticing every detail—how her lips moved, the genuine curve of her smile, and how infectious her laughter was. As cheesy as it sounded, Nika wholeheartedly believed that Danielle's smile had a way of lighting up rooms.

Lost in thought, Nika jumped when she felt a nudge on her shoulder. She turned to find Claire standing there with a knowing smile on her face.

"You've been staring at Dani for a while now," Claire whispered teasingly. Nika glanced down, trying to hide the tinge of pink that coated her cheeks.

"Oh, um... I wasn't-"

Claire laughed softly, cutting her off. "It's okay. It's pretty obvious you like her."