Chapter 6

Ethan Carter crossed his arms, stretching his legs out long, feeling somewhat unhappy.

The players on the court before were not very skilled. If he had been wearing sneakers, a two-on-five game with Ryan Walker would probably not have been a problem. However, watching them play had been entertaining, giving him a sense of superiority.

But now that Lucas Bennett and his two friends were on the court, the entire atmosphere had changed.

Lucas Bennett played... very well. If this were their previous school, he would have been the kind of player to enjoy the screams of countless girls during city high school league games. The friend playing with him wasn't bad either; it was a significant contrast to his lazy demeanor in the grocery store. Their teamwork was impressive, making the other two players on their team seem almost redundant.

So, watching this kind of basketball didn't give Ethan Carter any sense of superiority.

He didn't have any particular dislike for Lucas Bennett, but he certainly didn't have any fondness either. In moments like this, his mind was torn between acknowledging that Bennett was good and stubbornly dismissing him as a show-off.

"This guy plays well," Ryan Walker said without any hint of discretion. "How do you know him?"

"In our old team, he was just average," Ethan Carter replied.

"You're on the basketball team?" Before Ryan Walker could respond, James spoke up, his tone challenging. "Why don't you sub in for someone on the other team?"

Ethan Carter glanced at him. "No."

"No?" James seemed taken aback, probably expecting Ethan to accept the challenge. "Why not?"

"Guess," Ethan Carter said, standing up and heading toward the gym door.

Ryan Walker stretched and followed, leaving a few bewildered people behind.

"You're pretty fired up," Ryan Walker said as they exited the gym, hunching his shoulders. "Got a grudge against that guy?"

"I've only been here three days," Ethan Carter replied.

"True, not enough time to make enemies yet," Ryan Walker sighed. "You don't seem to like anyone right now."

"You're okay," Ethan Carter glanced at him.

Ryan Walker laughed. "Really, though, how do you know him? Is he a junior?"

"Neighbor," Ethan Carter said.

"Same building?" Ryan Walker asked.

"Next street over," Ethan Carter answered briefly.

"Oh." Ryan Walker responded.

Ethan Carter figured Ryan Walker might not fully grasp the concept of such a neighbor. They had grown up in gated communities where neighbors were either in the same building or the same community—barely acquaintances in either case.

Ethan Carter sighed softly, feeling like he was participating in some transformation reality show.

"How about a mountain trip to see the snow?" Ryan Walker clapped his hands.

"Climbing in this cold? Afraid your brain will freeze? It's already not working well," Ethan Carter joked. "Never seen snow?"

"Snow's heavier here," Ryan Walker draped an arm over Ethan's shoulder. "Ethan, let's take a breath of fresh air. It's just a new place. What's the big deal? Just new parents too...well, that's a bit big. Let me think..."

"Alright, let's go climb," Ethan Carter laughed, shaking his arm. "Screw it, it's no big deal."

After a game, Lucas Bennett felt warm. The grogginess from the past couple of days had finally lifted. He put on his jacket, noticing the joy in the eyes of the players who were relieved to see him leave. "Thanks."