Chapter 7

Lucas Bennett raised an eyebrow, took off his headphones, and turned his head to look at Ethan Carter.

This kid was a thorn in the side; he hadn't toned down his prickly demeanor at all despite being in an unfamiliar environment.

Lucas Bennett glanced at Hunter Davis in front of him with interest. Hunter Davis had his mouth open in shock—if he hadn't already finished his eggs, Lucas Bennett would have loved to shove one into his mouth.

Ethan Carter had chosen his target well; Hunter Davis was an annoying but easygoing teenager. If he had kicked someone else... Lucas Bennett glanced to his right, and sure enough, a fight would have broken out by now.

"What's going on? What's happening?" Austin Mitchell tapped the lectern, "We're in class, Lucas Bennett, what are you doing?"

Lucas Bennett was taken aback. He pointed to himself and mouthed, "Me?"

"Yes, you!" Austin Mitchell said, "You finished eating early and now you're bored, aren't you?"

The surrounding tables erupted in laughter. Lucas Bennett couldn't help but laugh too and turned to look at Ethan Carter.

"Why are you looking at him?" Austin Mitchell pointed at Ethan Carter, "His grades are way ahead of you guys!"

"Whoa—" The class immediately erupted.

"Top student—"

"Austin Mitchell has found his star pupil—"

Lucas Bennett sighed. Austin Mitchell was like an innocent intern teacher who had never taught a failing class. With just one sentence, he had set a three-foot-high barrier for Ethan Carter to integrate into the class.

Ethan Carter looked at Austin Mitchell, sincerely wondering if this person was an undercover agent sent by his mom to torment him.

He wasn't afraid of provocation, and he hadn't held back his temper since he entered the classroom, but he definitely didn't want to be praised for his good grades in such a chaotic class.

The term "top student" was almost an insult.

"Alright," Austin Mitchell cleared his throat, "Let's continue with the lesson... where were we..."

Ethan Carter hadn't been listening to Austin Mitchell before and was even less inclined to listen now. He slumped over the desk and took out his phone.

Back at his old school, playing on his phone during class felt like being a thief—silencing the ringer and media, threading the earphone wire through his sleeve to listen covertly.

The homeroom teacher's drawer was like a second-hand phone stall, filled with confiscated phones.

But here at the Fourth High School, things were different. Ethan Carter glanced at Lucas Bennett, who had his phone on the desk with a stand, clearly watching a video with earphones in and arms crossed, leaning back in his chair.

Ethan Carter slumped over the desk, Austin Mitchell's droning voice blending with the classroom chatter, making him drowsy. Bored, he sent a message to Ryan Walker.

- Grandson.

Ryan Walker quickly replied.

- Grandpa, what class are you in?

- Literature. You?

- English. Surprise test by Old Donkey, it's killing me.

- It's not a formal exam, what's the big deal?

- I don't know any of the answers. Old Donkey says it's a diagnostic test. Feels like he's got a hidden agenda!

Ryan Walker's message came with a photo. Ethan Carter glanced at it and sighed. It was a page of multiple-choice questions, taken from a tricky angle, clearly risking having his phone confiscated.